Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need these programs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joenmt

joenmt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hello,a while back I downloaded Windows Service Pack 3..My computer slowed up and was having other problems as well..As per a phone conversation to my ISP support they advised me to remove it and go back to my original Service Pack 2..Since I removed it I noticed that on my Add/Remove Programs window there are somethings that I don't recall being there before..These are..MS Netframework SP1 and MSWSE 2.0 SP3 Runtime..My computer is still slower than it was and my question is, do I need these programs or should they be removed also?? Any help would be appreciated.
"There is more credit and satisfaction in being a first-rate truck driver than being a tenth-rate executive"...B.C.Forbes

Joey D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Maybe or maybe not, the root of your problem is not those programs or SP3.
Tell us about your computer, processor, RAM, and other general specs.
Are you on dial up, or dsl or ??
Download Malware bytes (free) and run it.
what Anti virus program do you have?

#3 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Unless your hard drive is 98% full, installed programs do not make a difference on speed. Only running programs slow down a computer. Try getting a startup manager (like st-m) and remove things you know you don't need (just be sure to research programs you are unfamiliar with).

Good luck :thumbsup:

BTW: :flowers: Don't delete those. :trumpet:

Edited by o_rly, 26 March 2009 - 05:35 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#4 joenmt

joenmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thank You for the replies..Yes, my computer is a Dell Optiplex GX270..256MB of RAM..Intel Pentium 4 CPU..2.60Ghz..WindowsXP Home Edition Version 2002..Service Pack 2..Dial-Up Connection..Connects at 50.6Kbps..PeoplePC Internet Security Pack..And the last time I defragmented I should have 75% available memory..That is all I know, I'm really new to computers and appreciate you taking your time to help..Thanks for the info about the sart-up manager,I will take time to learn more about it..
"There is more credit and satisfaction in being a first-rate truck driver than being a tenth-rate executive"...B.C.Forbes

Joey D.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

..256MB of RAM....Dial-Up Connection..

Both of these will prevent your system from operating with much speed. Windows XP really needs 512MB or more, 256MB noticeably cramps its operation. Dial-Up is also having difficulty coping these days, as websites have become graphically demanding and are not designed thinking of dial-up speeds any more.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Yes, more RAM will definitely provide a noticeable difference. Your machine takes DDR memory, here's a link to some prices for those:

512 MB stick for $18.99 with free shipping.

That'll bring you up to 768 MB total, which will suffice for you, I'm sure, but you may look at getting an extra 1 GB stick (from what I can find from Dell, the maximum capacity is 2 GB) for $32.99 with free shipping.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

If I were you I should definitely re-install SP3, because it fixes multiple security-issues. SP3 is listed as a high priority-update by microsoft. After installing, run microsoft update untill it finds no more high priority updates.

For more information about NET.Framework click here. You have to decide yourself if you need it or not, depends on other programs on your computer. If you decide you need it, take care it is updated.
For Ms WSE, look here, same thing, you may or may not need/want it on your computer.
In both cases, these are by no means suspicious programs.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 joenmt

joenmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hello and THANKS to all whom replied..I will add RAM to improve XP efficiency, thanks for the knowledge..And thank you for the links as to my Net. Framework and Runtime questions..I will download SP3 once again and lastly I will shortly upgrade to DSL as I am getting quite unhappy with my dialup connection..We must all start somewhere and as I am new to this I am learning with the help of folks like you all at BleepingComputer..I surely have more questions but they are for another forum..Thanks Again..Its Been a pleasure..

Joey D.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Glad to be of help! Most of us started the same way here!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users