Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Reliability of Certain Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have tried different anti virus from Norton, Mc Afee, Kaspersky, Avast, NOD 32, PC Cilin, AVG Free. I've been switching among free anti virus softwares. It was until a computer engineer friend of mine suggested for me to use AVG side-by-side with Avast. At first it seemed to work well but later on, I encounter virus attacks that cannot be detected by either of the two anti virus. To be specific it was about this Recycle or Restore folder created by a certain virus.

I've talked with other friends who used to use the same anti virus that i use. Most of them suggested me to Stop using Avast because of this Recycle or Restore folder that seemed to be related to Avast. They said that they used to experience it too when they are still using Avast.

Could anyone please illuminate me regarding this issue.

:thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 26 March 2009 - 04:20 PM.
Moved to appropriate forum

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Your biggest problem is using two AV's at the same time. It's suggested to not have two AV's running at the same time due to their realtime protection softwares conflicting with each other causing a great deal of false positives and could potentially leave you open to more malware instead of it actually protecting you against them.

I'm not sure on the Avast thing with Recycler and Restore Folder, so someone else can enlighten you on that part.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'm aware of that so I uninstalled AVG because I used to be more confident with Avast. Even when only Avast is running in my system I can't still eliminate this Restore or Recycle folder thing. Avast could not even detect it but I/m certain that I'm infected with a certain virus because I've encountered it before. I'm somehow familiar with the nature of that specific virus. Then friends that I talked with have the same problem with their Avast. So I decided to uninstall Avast and use AVG instead.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

You appear to have a topic started with boopme helping you in the Am I Infected forum. It'd probably be best to just follow his instructions for now and ask him there as well as he can better answer your questions.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users