Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 regenerating rules

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 licarse

licarse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

The scenario: Outlook 2003 running on XP Pro SP3, connecting to Exchange 2003. This only happens to one user, no more users involved.

The problem: The user complained her emails were being duplicated. After checking her PC, she had two suspicious rules, one named after our previous exchange server, and the other one named after our current exchange server. The rules were duplicating messages to one folder (each) inside the mailbox.

I deleted both rules, but then the rule named after our current exchange server reappeared, but now using a different folder inside the mailbox.

I deleted it again three times, with the same result.

I then tried the /cleanrules switch, but the rule was regenerated again.

I've been doing some research about this, but it seems nobody in the whole world has had this issue. I started to think that the user was recreating the rule, but after confronting her, it really seems that somehow the rule got hooked with Exchange's database.

I don't want to recreate the profile or the mailbox before knowing if somebody has a better idea...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

First try scrapping the mail profile and then recreate. if this fails, re-install office.

The clean rules switch should have fixed this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users