Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:04 AM
The scenario: Outlook 2003 running on XP Pro SP3, connecting to Exchange 2003. This only happens to one user, no more users involved.
The problem: The user complained her emails were being duplicated. After checking her PC, she had two suspicious rules, one named after our previous exchange server, and the other one named after our current exchange server. The rules were duplicating messages to one folder (each) inside the mailbox.
I deleted both rules, but then the rule named after our current exchange server reappeared, but now using a different folder inside the mailbox.
I deleted it again three times, with the same result.
I then tried the /cleanrules switch, but the rule was regenerated again.
I've been doing some research about this, but it seems nobody in the whole world has had this issue. I started to think that the user was recreating the rule, but after confronting her, it really seems that somehow the rule got hooked with Exchange's database.
I don't want to recreate the profile or the mailbox before knowing if somebody has a better idea...