Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware or Trojan Horse or Both?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mmcly

mmcly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hi ! I have a malware or Trojan Horse problem. I can't log on to Windows-I get to the log on screen after startup and when I select "OK', i automatically get logged off. This happens in safe mode as well. I remember running AVAST! and it told me it had found and deleted a program "WIN:32-gen" but that's all I could see before the security alert popped up and I experienced the above atated problem. Is there anyway I can get into Windows? I don't have a Windows Start-up CD. Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

If you cannot bootup in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited. See:Important Note: If this is a virus/Trojan related issue, you should know that some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:These are links to Antivirus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users