Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE or SATA Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedOfLate

SpeedOfLate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hi. I’m not a “computer person” and have at least one back-door Trojan which I can’t seem to quarantine or delete using Trend Micro Pc-Cillin 14, Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware SE, and Stinger. (Details at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic213033.html)

I run XP Professional with Service Pack 3 as the operating system on my Dell Dimension. Once the virus reappeared (after I thought I’d taken care of it), I unplugged the cord which connected the Dimension to the internet and to the household’s network. (I’m communicating here on an ancient Dell which is quite slow and chuckles nearly constantly, although I don't see what's so funny.)

Boopme at the Am I Infected? board says the solution is to back up all documents, images, and music files (but not .exe or .html files), which was easy once I got past plugging in the new external hard drive when I wasn’t able to move the desk. (You’d have laughed, I promise. I missed a great YouTube opportunity.) Boopme says I’ll need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything. He gave me some links and directed me here for your expertise as questions arise.

Which they did immediately. I started at Reformatting Windows (by wng_z3r0).

I’m good on the Prerequisites section, sort of. I have the XP installation disks. My documents, pictures, and music files are on an external hard drive. I have floppy disks--but no floppy drive on the infected computer. (Who knew I’d want one?) I have the broadband connection--but not on the infected computer, although it would be a simple matter to hook it back up. And I have time. So far, so good.

On to Customizing the Guide for Your Computer. Smallish question. I will need to enable javascript, and there’s a Test for Javascript button. Uh, does this mean I need to enable javascript on the ancient, chuckling computer which is online, enabling me to get instructions, or on the infected computer? (It’s enabled on the chuckler.) My assumption is that I'll need it to view the instructions, on the uninfected computer, but you know what they say about making assumptions.

Next up, I need to determine if I have an IDE or a SATA hard drive. I followed the instructions (easy!), and my answer is “I dunno.” I get a box much like the second one. It says:

WDC WD3200KS-75PFBO Properties
Device Type: Disk Drive
Manufacturer: (Standard Disk Drives)

Maybe instead of “I dunno” my answer should be “Neither”? I don't dare click on the button telling which type of hard drive I have, so I'm stalled.

As always, all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Speed, glad you all are here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

The Western Digital 3200KS shows as a 320GB SATA II drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 SpeedOfLate

SpeedOfLate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

You are by far the smartest platypus I have ever met. Thanks!

(Any hint on which computer needs Javascript enabled?)

Speed, creeping onward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users