Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted files being copied in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjgicy

mjgicy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:35 PM

Actually this is a problem a friend is having. I have been trying to help her but I am at a loss, myself. She has put several images onto a CD and wants to remove the original images from her hard drive now, but when she attempts to delete them windows creates a copy. The original gets deleted, but a new file is created called "copy of image.jpg" Does anyone know why this is happening? How can we make it stop? She is using Roxio Drag-to-Disc to create the CD. We have not been able to find anything in Roxio that is causing this to happen. My first guess was to blame Roxio, but when it happened using Explorer delete, I had to come searching for answers from "experts".

Thanks!
MJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

Step by step, how is she deleting them?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mjgicy

mjgicy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

She highlights the file, right-clicks, choose delete.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

This is an out and out guess... but I think those drag to disc programs work in the same way that a hard drive cache does - more like a 'to do' list rather than a 'done' list.
I think you will find the real copy to the CD will not take place until the CD is "closed" or "finalised", up until that time the file copy is only pending (despite the fact that it shows you the files there on the CD). Therefore Roxio is protecting the originals by copying them when you try to delete them, otherwise it won't be able to burn the CD.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users