Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung LCD monitor displays for 1 sec and goes blank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tiffa

tiffa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

I am having a problem with my Samsung SyncMaster 732N model LCD display monitor when i turn it on it only displays for about 1 second and then goes blank but the power will be still on. Am suspecting maybe their is a power short which is causing this problem bcoz it seems to be hardware related and not software related. Will be most grateful for a solution from any of you guys.

Tiffa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

this a new monitor or one youve been using for awhile that it just started happening to? and did you just do any hardware upgrades to your computer like say video card?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

It sounds to me like what your describing is the screen goes black ("blank" could also for example be gray), and the power indicator still shows powered up, so the monitor hasn't gone into standby mode?

If this describes your symptom, then the monitor quite likely has bad electrolytic capacitors in its power supply. I've had two monitors with bad capacitors through the workshop this week, one in warranty, one out of warranty. In this case, it's probably not a difficult repair technically, although Samsung have a habit of using quite small low profile capacitors on their boards, and suitable substitutes may be awkward to find. In warranty, the complete circuit board would be replaced, but that would usually make the repair more costly out of warranty.

The same symptom can also be caused by other things, such as a faulty backlight in the LCD panel, but capacitors are always what I look at first.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 slappersonly

slappersonly

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

i have the same problem with my Samsung SyncMaster 931B and i think Platypus is right.

#5 Craig Allen

Craig Allen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Anyone have instructions about replacing a capacitor? I'm having this problem with a Samsung monitor, but have no soldering experience or done anything with opening up a monitor.

#6 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

First time you plugged it in did you hear a quick bang? Also, this tutorial here is very useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4&feature=related

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Anyone have instructions about replacing a capacitor? I'm having this problem with a Samsung monitor, but have no soldering experience or done anything with opening up a monitor.

I would strongly suggest that you do not attempt it, based on no soldering experience alone
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 slappersonly

slappersonly

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have the same problem with my Samsung Syncmaster 931B and I've tried to get into the monitor but there seems to be a lock in it or something. On the back it reads "Caution: To prevent electrical shock, do not remove cover. No user-serviceable parts inside. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel."
Seems to me like they don't want people trying to take from their service charges. If anyone knows if there is a way to get into the monitor so I search for any problems (most likely replace bad capacitors), please post. Here is some pictures I took of the back of the monitor:
The back of the monitor
Posted Image
A cable lock (I think?)
Posted Image
Possible locks? The circular "O"s inside are rubber.
Posted Image

#9 NCreature

NCreature

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

Hi, I know this is an old post but someone might be having the same problem and it would be nice for someone to help...here it goes.

If it's a capacitor problem here it's an easy temporary fix to get the monitor going...

With a hair dryer, blow some hot hair while the monitor is on and blinking thru the ventilation slots until the monitor comes back to life...it will remain on until turned off again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users