Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

Hi.

I believe that after a full reinstall of windows some kinds of malware can remain on the boot sector. What I would like to know is,

Can malware remain on the boot sector after a full reinstall?

Is there any other place that malware could remain? (I only have the one partition).

And finally, what would I do to rewrite the boot sector to be sure that there is nothing bad left there.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

<<Can malware remain on the boot sector after a full reinstall?>>

No...a clean install generates a brand new boot sector/MBR.

<<Is there any other place that malware could remain? (I only have the one partition).>>

Not on that hard drive. Of course, if you have USB/flash drives attached...they can also be infected.

<<And finally, what would I do to rewrite the boot sector to be sure that there is nothing bad left there.>>

Perform a clean install, following the suggestions outlined in the following links:

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

FWIW: Bear in mind that I also think it's wise to delete any existing partitions that have already been created...and start by creating a new partition (using the XP install CD). If that is done, any problems with the partition or existing file structure...which contributed to system/owner unhappiness...will be eliminated.

Of course, nothing will overcome hardware (memory, hard drive, etc.) problems which are significant, other than a change of hardware.

Louis

#3 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thanks hamluis, that was everything I needed to know.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users