Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS settings return to default?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

Hello, well I had to reformat my pc a couple of months ago due to some hard ware failure. I had a Geeksquad guy help since it was covered in my warranty, plus the hardware being replaced was a lil tricky so I wanted someone who would know how to do it better then I would at least. But after reformatting my pc he went into the bios and changed a bunch of things, I don't believe it was with any ill intention, but ever since then I have permanent glitches for example if my screensaver is set to come on in 10 mins then it comes on in 10 but goes off in 10 then on in 10 and off in 10...........etc... you get the picture. I also always get four removable drives that appear after boot up and also the removable media symbol in the start menu tray, but there are no usb drives attached to my pc. Couple other glitches as a result of him messing with the bios settings.

So I would like to now is there a way to return all the BIOS settings back to factory default? Or does reformatting the hard drive automaticly do that? I have Windows XP Media Center Edition with the classic recovery D partition on the hard drive.
I have to reformat anyways since I have a cracker on my system that nothing and I mean no program in this universe has been able to get rid of and most can't even detect it.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

You should go back to him and get him to fix it properly. If you mess with it yourself, you'll void the warranty.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

1. Screensaver goes with any keyoboard press or mouse movement, so check if your mouse is cool. It has nothing do with the BIOS.
2. Removable drive icon in system tray maybe shown NOT ONLY for USB drives. Some drivers do that, for example, NVidia SATA controller does that. Again, it has nothing to do with the BIOS.
3. Formatting the hard drive DOES NOT change the BIOS settings.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

To return the BIOS to default settings simply enter the BIOS and make that selection. It's in there
Please describe what you mean by "cracker"
Are you referring to malware?
Post a HJT log in our Security forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

To return the BIOS to default settings simply enter the BIOS and make that selection. It's in there
Please describe what you mean by "cracker"
Are you referring to malware?
Post a HJT log in our Security forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If I set the BIOS back to default will that return it to the settings that gateway made for this computer or will it return it to some generic computer default setting. I don't want to mess up the recovery drive or my OS and anything that came preinstalled on the recovery partition.

Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

If I set the BIOS back to default will that return it to the settings that gateway made for this computer

YES

BIOS Survival Guide
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/h..._sg/bios_sg.htm

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2009 - 02:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users