Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't transfer data from old computer to new

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bendebear

bendebear

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:38 AM

I recently got a new Dell computer and I have an old HP pavilion. Both systems are running XP pro.These systems are not networked. I followed the Microsoft directions to use the transfer wizard and cannot perform xfer. Used a CAT5e crossover cable. Cable light on old comp shows green. Cable light on new comp shows red. Called Dell they said I was using wrong cable. Said I should use a crossover cable not a CAT5e. Puzzled, what do I use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Hi if you made the cable yourself you forgot to switch the connections you need to use B -> A for a crossover. Patch cable is likly what you have which is B -> B.

Side 1=568-B
1. White Orange
2. Orange
3. White Green
4. Blue
5. White Blue
6. Green
7. White Brown
8. Brown

Side 2=568-A
1. White Green
2. Green
3. White Orange
4. Blue
5. White Blue
6. Orange
7. White Brown
8. Brown

Hope this Helps

Edited by LoLucky, 13 June 2005 - 02:41 PM.

#3 bendebear

bendebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

LoLucky,
I bought the cable a CAT 5 e and was told it would do the job. When trying to xfer data using xp transfer wizard got green light on old comp. and red light on new comp. When I called Dell (new comp) they walked me through all settings and told me I was using wrong cable, should use crossover cable. I thought I was and now don't know what to get. Dell was reluctantly helping as it is not a Dell hardware problem which I can understand. Best Buy "Geek" told me to buy an external drive and transfer data that way. The msoft step by step process does not specify what kind of cable just says "plug in cable"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

bendebear - just to clarify about the cable type - Cat 5E is a networking standard. It signifies the cable you have is good for modern network speeds, it does not say anything about what type of cable it is. There are two types:

1. Straight through - a standard network patch cable for example.
2. Cross-over - a special cable for linking two devices of the same kind, such as two hubs or two PC network cards. The cabling pinout is as LoLucky described.

To distinguish between the two types cable-makers often make a cross-over a different colour to the normal blue cable (but not always), the good ones will fix a label to it saying 'X-over" or similar. The only way to be sure what you have is to get a magnifying glass and check the cable colours where they end inside the transparent connector. Holding the connectors the same way, if the colours are in the same places it is a straight through cable. If some of the colours are in different places it is (probably) a cross-over cable.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

If some of the colours are in different places it is (probably) a cross-over cable

Or Poorly made. :thumbsup:

I bought the cable a CAT 5 e and was told it would do the job.

My bad sorry about that it was late in day and i wasn't feeling well. (excuses excuses)
What Rimmer has told you above is correct. another common term for Straight Through is called Patch Cable.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Here's an example of crossover cables. They look the same, but as already mentioned, they aren't wired the same as regular cat5e cables.

Cables n More

Here's some more:

Cables Unlimited

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users