Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual hard drives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNoob_

ComputerNoob_

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hi, I would like to know if it would be good to use a IDE and a SATA?
I have a 640 GB Sata and a 10/40GB IDE hard drive, so I would like to use one of them to run Vista, while the other to just run stuff and hold memory.
Is this a good configuration? Would the speeds benefit me alot? thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

The sata is faster than the IDE and as the IDE is pretty small there is no real benefit to adding it to your system. You could use it for storage, but it would slow down your system. If you really want to use it, use it as an external USB drive in an enclosure.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:07 AM

as long as you didnt use the IDE drive as the boot device, it wont slow down your overall performance, just the access time getting files off that drive. but wolfs right, I would put the IDE into an external enclosure if it were me, or just use it to put backups on. theres no real advantage to useing a 40 gig hard IDE drive for storage when you have a 640 gig SATA II drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm...I approach it differently (not necessarily better).

I use my smallest PATA hard drives as boot/system drives, since the smallest SATA drive I have is 250GB. I use my 20GB, 30GB, and 40GB PATA hard drives to install XP and programs on. It allows me to have a system partition which is about the size I want it and on a separate hard drive/controller. It also facilitates any chkdsk or defrag function I want to do on the boot partition.

I prefer to have the fastest drives as data storage, since that's where the biggest slowdowns that I can detect occur in my systems. My systems process programs quite effectively and have for some time...but data movement is where I really see the advantages of having SATA over PATA.

Since I move my files around a lot and do video-editing/rendering and moving of same...my arrangement suits me.

I don't game and I see no particular advantage to anyone wanting a "faster" system partition.

Louis

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

believe it or not the hard drive boot up speed makes a huge difference if your dual booting or just plain want performance...but if your not doing a lot of high performance stuff, using IDE as a boot wouldnt be a huge slow down.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

LOL...I don't game...I don't overclock. Neither arouses one whit of interest for me.

What else could be considered "high-performance" on a system owned by a person like me? I've done video-editing and music-editing on every system I've had since Duron 950 CPUs and those 120GB PATA drives :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

LOL...I don't game...I don't overclock. Neither arouses one whit of interest for me.

What else could be considered "high-performance" on a system owned by a person like me? I've done video-editing and music-editing on every system I've had since Duron 950 CPUs and those 120GB PATA drives :thumbsup:.

Louis

Yep I had an old Athlon 1200 with an 80gb PATA. That was a good solid workhorse that was retired w/ 14K hours on CPU. *sigh* what a machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users