Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot sector virus maxtor 6E040L0

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chopficaro

chopficaro

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

i need the boot sector reinstallation bootable iso for a maxtor 6E040L0, but seagate bought maxtor and their site is all f'ed up and i cant fine what i need! can someone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

The "boot sector" is the first sector on a HD that contains the MBR [Master Boot Record]

If the MBR is damaged the OS installation disk is used to fix it.

If you have XP you would boot the XP disk & use the Recovery Consol.

At the prompt you would type : fixmbr & press enter .
You would be asked if you are sure to write a new mbr , you would press enter again.

When you are back to the prompt you would type in : fixboot & press enter
You would be asked if you are sure to fixboot, you would press enter

Back at the prompt you would type exit & press enter to exit the recovery console.
Remove the disk from the drive & the computer should boot.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 chopficaro

chopficaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

but someone suggested that the virus will go memory dormant and i need to disconnect my hdd, flash my bios from a boot disk, reconnect the hdd, boot from a maxtor boot sector reinstallation disk, then install xp

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Unless you are talking about a virus corrupting the BIOS which is possible, but not probable, a virus doesn't go "memory dormant" .
[In the last 5 years I've seen 1 computer with virus corrupt BIOS & it [the motherboard] was not repairable. The first thing the virus did was kill the keyboard making entering commands impossible.
Every time the computer was restarted something else in the BIOS was destroyed until the motherboard simply wouldn't start]

Computer memory does not hold ANY information when the computer is turned off .
The memory is "reloaded" when the computer starts up.

As for a virus going "dormant" , what happens is most people don't turn off system restore & restart the computer to clear old restore points before removing a virus.
The virus is often saved in system restore & reinfects the computer when system restore is done to fix damage caused to the OS by the virus.

If you reinstall the OS ,delete the existing partition & reformat the drive during the reinstallation, all viruses will be destroyed.

If you have a virus in the motherboard BIOS & t5he virus allows you to flash the BIOS to get rid of it it's not much of a virus !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 chopficaro

chopficaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

thank u for being so patient with me, i just need to be sure because unfortunately the only computer that i have to work with is the one im fixing that im typing on now and am fighting the virus just to post in this forum
so u think this is definitely a boot sector virus then, given the fact that i have used this version of dban guttman wipe and this os for years and now im having trojans after every installation of windows xp?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

If you boot a XP disk, delete ALL existing partitions ,reinstall XP , & still have a virus I'm suggesting you are getting the virus from the XP disk you are using or another program/app you are installing.

Are you useing a factory made XP disk ?

Follow this & when you get to the XP desktop DON'T install ANYTHING except a anti-virus program
Do a scan & see if you still have a virus.
If you do put the XP CD in the drive & scan it.

Turn the unit on and put the XP disk in the drive.
Leave the disk in the drive and restart the unit,
Watch the screen for a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD,
Press a key on the keyboard,
Wait while it goes through starting from the disk,
[You may have to press F8 during startup to accept the EULA]
When you get to the screen with the box that shows the current version of XP installed press "D" on the keyboard,
Press "Enter"
Press "L"
You now should have a screen asking what file system you want to format to, NTFS should be selected by default,
Press enter,
The disk will be formatted and the installation will automatically begin when the format is finished,
During the installation the computer will restart DO NOT press a key to boot from the CD again !
At that point the unit will boot from the hard drive and continue the installation.
After awhile you will be asked to "name" your computer,
I suggest naming it the same as the main user ID so you are the administrator by default.
[Example, I have an XP unit named "testbox" the user name is also "testbox"
You will be asked if you want to turn on automatic updates, select NO or Not now,
You will be asked if you want to setup a network connection, click on skip,
You will be asked to enter a user name and password,
Enter the same name you used for the unit ,
Only enter a password if you want to have to log on every time XP starts,
[If you have more then one user you can enter passwords later]
Follow the prompts to finish.
When you get to the desktop the only icon showing will be the recycle bin
Click on the "Tour XP balloon [or icon in the taskbar by the clock] and click "Cancel"
Go to Start>Control Panel,
Double click "Taskbar and Start Menu"
Click on the "Start Menu" tab
Put a dot in the circle by "Classic Start Menu"
[That will put the icons on the desktop]
Click OK
Double click on "Folder Options"
Click on the "View" tab
Go down the list until you find "Show hidden files and folders"
[for future use]
put a dot in the circle by it
Click OK
Close the Control Panel

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

Apparently I'm not as sharp as I thought.

Read this,

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Boot-Sector-Virus

Then again, read this also,

http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips...sectorvirus.htm

Edited by fairjoeblue, 26 March 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

BTW, If you happen to know the name of the virus, what a anti-virus program shows it as, would you please post it ?

I deal with reinstallations & virus removal on a daily basis & have never ran in to a "boot sector" virus in the BIOS .

As I stated earlier, the only virus I've ever seen attack the BIOS destroyed them.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

If the BIOS chip does indeed get trashed, one more possibility is to get a new chip
Most chips nowadays are removable
http://www.biosman.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users