Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatically connecting on dial-up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HeistPCP

HeistPCP

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

After I get disconnected off of the internet, I have to click re-connect. Does anyone know how I can get my computer to automatically re-connect to the internet or does only windows xp do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

click here in the following order:

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections

in the middle of that window, check the button marked 'dial whenever a network connection is not present'

this will make your default dial-up connection dial up when you start an online application, and redial whenever connectivity is lost.

that's it.

alternatively, use a little program to do it for you: go here for an example.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

Also in Internet Options>Connections highlight your connection -
click the Settings button
click the Properties button
select the Options tab
in the 'Redialing Options' area there is a tickbox for 'Redial if line is dropped'

That may be what you're after.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

How do I stop it from 'searching for a network' when I am connecting to the internet?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Can you expand on that please?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

click here in the following order:

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections

in the middle of that window, check the button marked 'dial whenever a network connection is not present'

this will make your default dial-up connection dial up when you start an online application, and redial  whenever connectivity is lost.

that's it.

alternatively, use a little program to do it for you: go here for an example.

The site is down. I have netzero and it will disconnect me but in order to automatically reconnect I have to click this ok button after this error message appears. Anyone know how I can stop this?

Edited by HeistPCP, 04 July 2005 - 12:47 PM.

#7 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

The site is down. I have netzero and it will disconnect me but in order to automatically reconnect I have to click this ok button after this error message appears. Anyone know how I can stop this?

are you using Netzero's little connector program or are you using the windows dial-up connection to connect? Netzero's stuff should connect you right back up again; check the options or settings if you're using their program.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#8 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:48 AM

are you using Netzero's little connector program or are you using the windows dial-up connection to connect? Netzero's stuff should connect you right back up again; check the options or settings if you're using their program.

I am not using windows dial-up. I am using the netzero program. When I try to use windows dial-up it will disconnect me and then say "incorrect user-name or password". I have it checked but I get a pop up saying "..You've been disconnected." When you click ok that's the only time it will automatically connect. Is there a way for me not to have to click the 'ok' button?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users