Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates installation failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

I got to the windows update page, it loads and does it's thing checking for latest updates. It says I have to download SP3 first before I download the other critical updates. Every time I try to however, I click install updates then a second later the license terms comes up. I click accept, the bar loads all the way up in about a second or two then says installation failed, and goes to the "Some updates were not installed" Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929).

So then I tried to download the ISO image for SP3, downloaded it burnt it to a disk and ran it. After it extracted all the files and everything, a pop up came up saying "Access Denied" for the SP3 setup.

Also my last computer had the "endless reboot" problem from SP3, so they shipped a replacement. It's the same one with an AMD processor. I tried use the " removeIntelPPMonAMD" fix it said "The computer appears to have an AMD processor, the intelppm does not exist on this computer you should be ready to install SP3". So once I can get the update fixed, will it be safe to install. Considering the last computer I had did the endless rebooting. I never got to check on the last computer if that was the reason why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 btw.

EDIT: I Finally got SP3 to work (from the ISO) but still all my downloads from Microsoft Update site are failing. Can anyone help?

Edited by RobiSuicide, 25 March 2009 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of. I still can't download windows updates. I have about 450 something mb's of critical updates that need to be downloaded (because my automatic updates wasn't working because of a virus, i got help with that in the hijack forums) but it'll come up say installing updates and the bar will load so quickly (like 5 seconds) so I know its not even downloading them, and they all fail.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Browsing material: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...ws+updates+fail

Louis

#4 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

^ Yeah I've tried about 4 or 5 of them. I added it to my trusted sites, I deleted the software distribution files and folders. I've renamed the catroot folder and deleted .tmp files. I did the "Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services" and etc.

I don't get any error codes, the thing just comes up says downloading and installing loads really quick and then says failed to install (for every update).

Wait.... I just checked the the windows update log, I noticed it says Error 0x80246008 occurred while downloading update, for every update I think. Which is a BITS problem. I can't start BITS whenever I try it says Error 2 system cannot find specified file.

Edited by RobiSuicide, 26 March 2009 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users