Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Mass Storage Device Detection Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I just did a clean install after having my desktop massively infected. Prior to the infection the WD Passport drive would be recognized by the system right off, without any problems.

After the reinstallation the drive goes through several cycles of detecting/loosing until I get a message stating the drive is a hi speed storage device, capable of running off an available 2.0 USB Hub slot. However, the drive is plugged into the hub slot. It is like the system is detecting the drive running off the motherboard's USB port slots instead of the USB Hub Port's slots.

I am running a Soyo 4x400 Ultra motherboard, and an Audigy 2 Premium Ex sound card with the additional 4 port USB Hub.

I have installed the drivers, and let the driver update wizard search Microsoft for any updated drivers. The Passport portable drive still isn't detected at USB 2.0 speed ON the Audigy USB Port Hub. The drive works fine on my laptop (no additional hub ports), and as I stated, the drive did work before I was forced to reinstall XP. The system is running XPSP2 (I'm not doing SP3, at least for now - it trashed the system once, forcing another clean install in the middle of a clean install).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well..I would not plug the drive...into the hub ports...since it seems to work just fine when plugged directly into system USB ports.

The hub appears to be the weak point of your current attempts, IMO.

How many USB 2.0 ports on this system?

Louis

#3 Merasya

Merasya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Loius,

You misunderstand. The Passport drive worked fine in the hub slots prior to the infection - luckily I never used it on the system after the infection. Upon reinstallation the drive would not work on the hub, which has four 2.0 slots. I have never used the drive on the motherboard's USB ports.

At the time I did the install I had to let XP find drivers for the Audigy 2 card because I could not find the install disk. Even now, with the install disk the system is confused, but the system is running SP2 already. The confusion has to stem from a driver issue as it worked fine originally.

So, since I have already done so a couple of times I decided to start over, again. This time I will install all the drivers for the system prior to any Automatic Updates. Hopefully this will fix the confusion.

The bad thing about this is all the misc. updates not packaged into a bulk patch. I wish MS would create one so we could install a majority of them like we do with the service packs. Oh well, I let you know.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

FWIW: The service packs are nothing but packaged/consolidated critical updates. Microsoft got that one right, contrary to what you think.

If the CD used to install XP has at least SP1 included...a user merely needs to install SP3 to avoid installing close to 200 individual updates.

But...no one HAS to...

Louis

#5 Merasya

Merasya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

I guess there is that...

I think I have found the problem, but I am unsure how to best fix it. I have loaded the drivers for the Audigy 2 card. I have loaded the drivers for the Soyo 4x400 Ultra motherboard, with one exception - The driver for USB2 support supplied on the disk and on the company' website isn't supported on XP - or Vista for that matter. Device Manager shows an exclam next to Universal Serial Bus Controller. I know I can use the driver update to get a driver from MS, but I am not sure it is loading the right one. At present the Audigy 2's USB Hub Ports are working correctly, even with the Passport HD. XP is running SP1 so far.

The Universal Serial Bus Controller was operating the Audigy 2's USB Hub before instead of letting the Audigy 2 handle it. Hence reporting the Hub had USB2.0 slots available while the Passport HD was plugged into a Hub slot.

Getting the driver might work, but I would like to be able to download the driver in order to have a backup - one never knows when it will come in handy. I couldn't find it the last time I tried searching. Any suggestions?

#6 Merasya

Merasya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Okay, now I am confused. There's no driver for it on the Audigy 2 CD. Searching the Soyo MB CD yields Via 4in1 Host Controller, the same that the Driver Wizard found searching MS. The driver doesn't work. The system complains about no HiSpeed controller installed when the USB controller is disabled. If it isn't disabled then the Hardware Wizard keeps finding and loosing the Passport drive, eventually running it at reduced speed.

Prior to the driver installation the drive worked fine, although I do not know if it was running at USB2 speed. No driver loader and the Passport works. Once a driver is loaded only disabling it helps, although only slightly. The Hardware Wizard just keeps reinstalling the faulty driver. I have no idea why the motherboard driver is freaking out the hub on the Audigy card.

I guess it's back to the beginning, and disable the unknown hardware and see if there is any difference or similarities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users