Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KCabral06

KCabral06

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hey i really need your guys help on this one.

My computer started acting up and sometimes it wouldn't turn on at all, and then sometimes. And randomly i restarted my computer and it got stuck on the WINDOWS VISTA loading screen and wouldn't go back. I turned off the computer and nothing at all happened. Then after a few more trys i got it to to start up but now it only starts up for LESS than 1 second. The LEDS work because when i click the startup button the blue lights flash but then NOTHING... it doesn't even go to POST at all... no BIOS... i thought it was the PSU but i went to a friends house and tried his... same thing happens... starts up for less than 1 second then immediately turns back off.

If anyone has ideas PLEASE help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

What brand & model is the computer ?

Since you had the PSU out of it what brand is it ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 KCabral06

KCabral06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0) Motherboard
Can't remember PSU - Rosewill 600W dont remember model
4GB Ram
Intel Quad Core 2.2GHZ

I dont really remember all the specific specs just to give you an idea is what is listed above. But i did try it out with 2 different power supply and neither worked. :thumbsup:

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

Did you watch the CPU fan while trying to start it to make sure it is coming on ?

Do you have another video card you can try in it or another unit you can try the video card in to make sure it's working ?

If a known good video card is in it I would remove everything that isn't absolutly neccessary to start the unit & then try it.

Remove all but 1 stick of memory
Disconnect the hard drive & CD drive.

See if it starts.

If it will not start then I would suspect the motherboard or CPU has failed.

If you can try the CPU in another unit or have a known good CPU to try on the motherboard you can determine which is faulty.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 KCabral06

KCabral06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

yep, i did all of that and the same thing happens. When i do power it on the BLUE LEDS do show up for that split second then it shuts off. The CUP Heatsink fan does spin and so does the fan for the case if that helps any.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

If you did all of that & still got the same results the next step is to remove the motherboard from the case , put it on a piece of cardboard [I use a motherboard box] & try to start it outside of the case.
[use a small screwdriver to touch the on button pins]
This will determine if it was shorted out in the case.
If it won't start outside of the case I would surmise that the motherboard has failed.

Edited to fix a typo !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 25 March 2009 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users