Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop spontaneously powers off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drjsparker

drjsparker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Greetings...thanks in advance to your insight. I believe I cheated and posted this in the WXP forum as well...I couldn't decide which was more applicable.

I've got an HP Pavillion zv5000 that will power off, not shut down, but power off sporatically (as though you flipped a light switch or pulled the power cord).

A couple of notes:
-I recently wiped the HD clean and reloaded WXP
-The battery in this laptop is worthless; must be powered by A/C....my first thought was that it was a power problem.
-Problem occurs after computer has been running a while, ie in the morning it's fine, after it's been running for a few hours it will cut off...my second thought was that the processor was getting too hot, but both fans on the underside are running
-When I start it up in the morning, it will run for a few hours. Once it cuts off, if I try to power it back up it will get so far in the boot sequence (sometimes not very far at all, other times all the way to the desktop) and then cut off. At this point in the day, it will rarely get to the desktop before it cuts off.
-That said, I just ran a diagnostic check on the HD from within the BIOS (which took an hour) and it never cut off....the HD passed btw. It seems to occur only when Windows is trying to boot up, but as I stated, it's a clean install on a formated partition.
-The computer also cuts off when I am booting off of the WXP disc (I'm trying to run DSKCHK).
-The sequence of events today:
-This morning: Booted off the WXP disc, reformatted the HD and reinstalled WXP
-Installed OFFICE 2003
-Installed a couple of MS updates
-Up until this point everything was ok...I had come to the conclustion that the previous OS had bugs and that that was the problem
-Installed drivers from the 'DRIVER RECOVERY DISC' that contains the originally installed drivers from HP
-Laptop began cutting off...at this point I'm wondering if the problem is a driver I just installed, but...
-Also cuts off in SAFEMODE

I think that's about all the clues I can give you. Again, thank you for any thoughts you can offer.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

If you go into device manager, is anything in an error state, or detected as an unknown device?

The battery doesn't work in the laptop? Do you need the battery in for the AC to work properly? If not, try it without the battery in.

Try cleaning out the dust by blowing some canned air through the vents.

I don't think it would be the hard drive because the system wouldn't just cut off like that, it would probably just lock up, but remain on.

I'm not very good with laptops, but If none of the above works, I think there may be something wrong with the internal power connections, or the motherboard is going.

EDIT: I just had an idea. how about you let it sit in the BIOS for a few hours, and see if it cuts off. If it cuts off here, then it's probably a hardware related issue. If not, then it's something else :thumbsup: .

Edited by Sterling14, 25 March 2009 - 07:00 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users