Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 loop123

loop123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

hi! New to this forum. running xp media edition on a gateway laptop, model MX6426. I am sorry for this long post, but from what I have read, I need to be as thorough as possible.
The computer was in sleep mode for about a week, when I brought it out of sleep mode, I got messages saying that I needed to run a scan for virus threats that could slow down or make my computer freeze up. I immediately started the scan with webroot. In the middle of the scan, the computer froze up and nothing would unfreeze it. I unplugged it, took the battery out, put it back in, and turned the computer back on. It goes as far as the Microsoft xp screen, then before it gets to the user screen, it goes black, turns itself off, turns back on, i get the gateway screen, xp screen and it just keeps looping.

It will not work in:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known Good Config
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot

When I press F11 I get Tech Info: ...STOP: OXOOOOOO7E (OXCOOOOOO5, OX79FE273, OX79FE18C, OXF79FDE8C)

I do not know what to do. I do not have and xp disk, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I have read something about doing a chck disk, but I don't know where to do that.
thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

Insert the Recovery Console CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 loop123

loop123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks so much for the help!!!! I will try this and let you know how things progress.

#4 loop123

loop123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I did what you said, down loaded, made a CD, and booted from the Recovery CD. I ran it twice and each time it said it found and fixed one or more errors. I have tried starting in the different safe modes and it is still doing the same thing. After the windows xp window, it acts like it is going to load the user screen, but before it does, it cuts itself off and then cuts back on and starts the whole thing over. I hope you have some more suggestions, because I am lost as to what to do. i appreciate any help.
thanks again,
loop123

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

If possible...I would remove the hard drive then slave it to a known good, protected system...and scan it thoroughly for malware.

FWIW: There is no one product...that can adequately protect a system against the different types of malware. If you are relying solely on Webroot, you may need to revise your thinking.

Worth reading in spare time: http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Safe-While-Surfing-Online

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

Try these commands from the Recovery Console:

CD SYSTEM32
COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE
EXIT

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 loop123

loop123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi Budapest,
I tried what you suggested and it is STILL doing the same thing! Any other suggestions?? I really do appreciate your help, I am ready to bang my head against the wall.

I was wondering? If it is a virus or mal-ware, can I download and burn a CD of an antivirus or anti mal-ware programs from the internet, and run it from the CD drive. Would it run it and fix the problem? I am about to go nuts trying to figure this out.

Sorry it has been a few days since I checked in, been busy with work. I hope you haven't stop checking.

Thanks,
Reboot loop

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Try these commands from the Recovery Console:

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
exit

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 loop123

loop123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hi Budapest,

Tried:
d:
cd i386 --- Get access is denied
expand userinit.ex_c:\windows\system32 --- Get The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
exit

Now what? I am assuming that I can't boot an antivirus or malware from a cd? Do you have any idea what might be going on??? Thanks,

Loop123

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

d: refers to your CD drive. It might be another letter on your computer.

expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You must have a space between the "_" and the "c".

Edited by Budapest, 09 April 2009 - 05:38 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like a SP3 Problem, if so then you HAVE to dual boot. :thumbsup: Make another partion with another OS. Thats all i can say.

~StickDude101

#12 loop123

loop123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi Budapest,

Went back and retried-
d:
D:>cd i386
Access denied

D:>expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
This system cannot find the file or directory specified

When I go to recovery console before the admin password, it asks me which installation would you like to log onto?
1: D:\MiniNT
2: C:\WINDOWS

I have always ben going to windows, I hope this is right!? I did try #1 after I did not get anywhere with #2. I do think I need to be doing D, but where, or better yet, how do I find out for sure? I looked, but could not find anything. My drive is a DVD/CD combo drive if that helps, but I still think it is D.

StickDude: I appreciate the response, but I don't know what an SP3 Problem is, dual boot, or how to make another partion with another OS???? Care to explain?

Thanks
Loop123

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

I think we need to create a new Recovery Console disk and try again:

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 helen1963

helen1963

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

OK I know I am running w2k and this is xp BUTTT I am getting nothing from the w2k forums......I can not copy the userinit.exe files from OS CD do NOT have it ......can I copy the file from my sons computer also running w2k onto a floppy and copy from floppy drive onto my WINNT in recovery console??? ...I also deleted everything that happened on the day "IT" happened in my winnt files, winnt\system and winnt\system32 files after checking them out online ...on sons computer......I have been battling this since last tues and I have about had it
PLEASE!!!

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

helen1963, have you tried running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users