Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop spontaneously powers off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drjsparker

drjsparker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Greetings...thanks in advance to your insight.

I've got an HP Pavillion zv5000 that will power off, not shut down, but power off sporatically (as though you flipped a light switch or pulled the power cord). This most may have been been better suited for the 'Internal Hardware' forum...I couldn't decide which.

A couple of notes:
-I recently wiped the HD clean and reloaded WXP
-The battery in this laptop is worthless; must be powered by A/C....my first thought was that it was a power problem.
-Problem occurs after computer has been running a while, ie in the morning it's fine, after it's been running for a few hours it will cut off...my second thought was that the processor was getting too hot, but both fans on the underside are running
-When I start it up in the morning, it will run for a few hours. Once it cuts off, if I try to power it back up it will get so far in the boot sequence (sometimes not very far at all, other times all the way to the desktop) and then cut off. At this point in the day, it will rarely get to the desktop before it cuts off.
-That said, I just ran a diagnostic check on the HD from within the BIOS (which took an hour) and it never cut off....the HD passed btw. It seems to occur only when Windows is trying to boot up, but as I stated, it's a clean install on a formated partition.
-The computer also cuts off when I am booting off of the WXP disc (I'm trying to run DSKCHK).
-The sequence of events today:
-This morning: Booted off the WXP disc, reformatted the HD and reinstalled WXP
-Installed OFFICE 2003
-Installed a couple of MS updates
-Up until this point everything was ok...I had come to the conclustion that the previous OS had bugs and that that was the problem
-Installed drivers from the 'DRIVER RECOVERY DISC' that contains the originally installed drivers from HP
-Laptop began cutting off...at this point I'm wondering if the problem is a driver I just installed, but...
-Also cuts off in SAFEMODE

I think that's about all the clues I can give you. Again, thank you for any thoughts you can offer.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

It might be overheating. Try blowing out the vents with a can of compressed air.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 drjsparker

drjsparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

It might be overheating. Try blowing out the vents with a can of compressed air.

If this were the case, wouldn't it cut off while in the BIOS as well?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

You never know. The BIOS might not be putting much strain on the processors, so it doesn't overheat in the BIOS. Still worth blowing out the vents I think.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users