Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery-Poor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rollbar

Rollbar

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

One day after my warranty runs out and the battery shows POOR condition. HP said to do a BIOS update (which I did) and then run the battery health check and that should fix it or....., I did and still it only lasts 5min on a full charge. What timing, but HP will not warranty it and a new one is 103 bucks. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Since the warranty is up I'd think that there isn't much that you can do. It's for things like this that insurance plans have gained acceptance in the computer industry. Some plans even have battery and AC Adapter replacement written into it.

In the mean time, fully discharge the battery by running it until the system dies, then plug it in and leave it plugged in for 10 hours or more. That'll get you the most life out of the battery. If it's still inadequate I'd suspect that you'll have to use the plug until you've managed to save up $103. :huh:

Edited by usasma, 26 March 2009 - 07:14 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dguillaume

dguillaume

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Rollbar,

Here's my experience with my Dell laptop running Vista. Six months after I bought it, the battery would no longer charge. Fortunately, it was still under warranty. But I was upset. After much study, I learned that Vista needs a lot of "energy" for Aero Interface and Sidebar, much more than my former XP which never used up the battery.

So, I've done two things. First, I installed Vista Battery Saver at http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-9752743-12.html. It turns off the Sidebar and goes back to basic desktop look when you're on battery. It works very well - so well that it's 18 months since I had to get a new battery and it is still holding a charge.

Secondly, I learned to keep my battery cool. So I keep my battery out of my computer and only snap it in when I'm going on battery power. It's easy to do and the "peace of mind" is worth any effort.

Best wishes, Donna

#4 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

One day after my warranty runs out and the battery shows POOR condition. HP said to do a BIOS update (which I did) and then run the battery health check and that should fix it or....., I did and still it only lasts 5min on a full charge. What timing, but HP will not warranty it and a new one is 103 bucks. Any suggestions?

What a bummer. I never used to keep my laptop plugged in because I thought it was bad for the computer but I was so tired of the battery running low that I started keeping it plugged in. I never unplug it. The cord is long enough to get me to my couch and that's good enough for me. lol

I sure hope someone has some suggestions that will help you. It is really too bad your warranty ran out the day before. I think the only time I have ever bought an extended warranty is after the first year on my computers as I think that's when there is most likely going to be a problem but after that I don't.

I was just reading Donna's post and the laptop I just replaced was a Dell computer and my battery is still working fine after three years. :huh:

Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

#5 Rollbar

Rollbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thanks all. I let HP have it. I bought this two yrs ago @ C-City w/a two yr warranty & HP said they don't honor it & C-City's warranty just ran out. I might have about 35 hours on this machine since it was mainly used as a back up, that's why I can't under stand it, I would let the battery discharge and re-charge to keep it in good shape. HP's health check showed 100% Green/Good & then the day after it was Yellow/Poor. I really don't understand it. Maybe it's a program setting to get consumers to buy new batteries. I don't have the side bar active and I keep every thing to a minimum. I do have a chil pad (has two fans on it to keep the L-top cool) under it since it was newcause I felt the underside (fron't left) was real hot so I wanted to help it out.

#6 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

I never, ever let my battery discharge and recharge it and it's still going strong after three years. Maybe we should just let our batteries alone. :huh:

#7 dguillaume

dguillaume

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

I don't think Vista was installed on computers three years ago! As I said, XP does not use enough energy to wear out the battery.

#8 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

I should have qualified that remark about the battery. I also have a Dell laptop with Windows XP and that's the one I'm referring to about the battery. lol

#9 Rollbar

Rollbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

I just got off the phone w/HP. A fulling exteneded warranty=229.00 covers accidental damage. Regular warranty=149.00.

Where would be the best place to buy a battery for a DV6226US HP Lap top?

Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

I'd say so. A battery will generally die in about 2 years. I spent about $120 for my Toshiba battery a while back (no warranty either), and had previously spent $120 for another AC Adapter. That makes the warranty much more attractive.

I now purchase the insurance/extended warranty for just such eventualities - and I get a new battery and AC Adapter out of the deal (just make sure it's done before the warranty expires).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

I just got off the phone w/HP. A fulling exteneded warranty=229.00 covers accidental damage. Regular warranty=149.00.

Where would be the best place to buy a battery for a DV6226US HP Lap top?

Posted Image

If it were me, I would buy it from the manufacturer.

#12 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

http://www.laptopbatterydepot.com/shopping...-+DV6000+Series
Have A Great Day