Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Program

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smiley1124

smiley1124

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

My norton internet security program is expiring in about a week. Once it does I know I will need another program to help with viruses. I heard of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5.283 and was wondering if it is any good. If not what is a good free program to use

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Avira AntiVir
avast! Home Edition
ZoneAlarm (free firewall)

AVG is okay, not my favorite, but it's better than nothing. :thumbsup:

Edited by o_rly, 25 March 2009 - 04:42 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've used AVG for multiple years now. Upgraded to 8.0 when the forced upgrade came out. I've recently seen the prompt to upgrade to 8.5 but have not done so yet.

I have stuck with it despite the multiple problems I've had: updates fail, false positives, terribly long time to scan my computer. Their free forum board is horrible. If you do decide to go with AVG and have support questions, from personal experience don't bother posting a question on their board: their rules are insanely prohibitive, you cannot add to a thread that has the identical issue as you are experiencing (you must create your own new thread), and their mods are beyond rude. The problems I've experienced are not specific to my particular computer, either. It's installed on another computer in my home as well as my parents' computer. All three of us have the same issues at varying times.

o_rly has posted some good alternatives. I'll see if AVG 8.5 is an improvement for me. If not, I'll eventually ditch it and go with avast! as that has received glowing reviews. Just my personal opinion from using AVG for about 3 years after Norton.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hello there are some free apps listed in our link Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
You can try them one at a time and decide on what works best with your system or what you like to use.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BMartin

BMartin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

Just get the new NIS 2k9, I wouldn’t have recommended a Symantec product but the new one really does shine. I was a die hard nod32 user prior to them releasing v4, and having some early runtime issues. The most obvious benefit of buying a security suite, are usually better customer service and support. Bought programs usually have auto-update which their free cousins sometimes lacks, or they update more often. Norton Internet Security 2k9 is quite cheap, around the same price as eset nod32
http://www.checkoutsoftware.com/symantec/n...rity-2009_p4996
Here’s some good read about it
http://www.pcworld.com/article/158157/top_...protection.html

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

AVG or Avira are both good, each in its own way, and the newer version of AVG also has spyware protection included. Avira seems to be slightly better in detection, and is slimmer in its use of resources and drive space. Either will nicely replace Norton.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

Just get the new NIS 2k9, I wouldn’t have recommended a Symantec product but the new one really does shine. I was a die hard nod32 user prior to them releasing v4, and having some early runtime issues. The most obvious benefit of buying a security suite, are usually better customer service and support. Bought programs usually have auto-update which their free cousins sometimes lacks, or they update more often. Norton Internet Security 2k9 is quite cheap, around the same price as eset nod32
http://www.checkoutsoftware.com/symantec/n...rity-2009_p4996
Here’s some good read about it
http://www.pcworld.com/article/158157/top_...protection.html

Yes Norton always comes first with PC World. This year it could almost deserve it.

However it is certainly not a free product.

Give Comodo Internet security a try, it is probably all you would ever need and free to anyone for life.
Today's antivirus definition updates can be seen here:
http://internetsecurity.comodo.com/updates/vdp/database.php

You could see more information here:
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/overview.html
James

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

As BMartin has intimated, when you switch from a commercial to a free AV there is a lowing of expectations that you should be aware of. The companies that put out free versions of their AV's aren't doing it as a public service, they have commercial versions that they want to sell to you also so the free versions are intended to be enticements into purchasing their commercial version. That is why they leave out some features and give no or less support and many times ease of use is lacking in freeware.

When I was new to computers I had Norton installed. After learning a bit more about computers and security I switched over to Kaspersky. The main reason for that was that was that KAV doesn't badger you to pay for a major upgrade every year--all program upgrades are free--and their support is better than Norton's.

Then after using KAV for a few years and learning even more about computers and security, I've switched to AntiVir. I tried AVG 8 when it first came out and did have some experience with 7.5, but went back to AntiVir because of the same reasons cited by txtchr--and even if 8.5 makes all the bugs go away, I won't recommend them because of the attitude of their forum support people.

All this leading up to say that the first thing you will probably miss is a scheduler for running scans and a lack of a more complete control over your app. The main reason I settled on AntiVir is that it is capable of scheduling scans where AVAST and AVG 7.5 didn't. AVG 8 includes a scheduler for scans, but the definition updater was out of control on my systems.

You also get more control over the program with AntiVir. One feature in this regard I find essential and that the others don't have is the ability to exclude certain files and folders from scanning. This is needed because of false positives and near positives that are more common with free AV's and, unfortunately, AntiVir. But this is even more important because both AntiVir and AVG will scan and quarantine restore points in the SystemVolumeInformation folder, which is not a good practice because disturbing that folder will break System Restore at least temporarily. With AntiVir you can exclude that folder from being scanned and another option is to configure it to not remove/delete what it detects as malware or a possible risk. You can't do that with AVG 8 and Avast doesn't allow exceptions.

So if you know what false positives are and how to deal with them, and you have a decent knowledge of computers and security best practices, the latter of which means you don't often, if ever, get infected, then a free AV is a good choice. Either Avast or Antivir--I won't comment on Comodo and some others as they are too new and I have no experience with them. Especially if you don't often get infected, why pay for something that you hardly use. But a free AV will take some getting used to after you've had Norton installed.

BTW, most AV's now offer automatic updates and do so on a daily basis, unlike a few years ago.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 smiley1124

smiley1124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

thanks to everyone for their suggestions/help!!! I think I will try Avira AntiVir that o_rly suggested and see if i like it or not.

#10 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

I have run paid and now many free different AV programs and wound up settling on Avira. I really like the user interface and small amount of resources used by Avira. I also have a very high confidence level in this product.

#11 sparrow94

sparrow94

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Avast is a really good antivirus...
and it runs well in conjunction with Avant Browser
check them both out

www.avast.com
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

#12 ransompendragon

ransompendragon

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Nice to hear the nods to Avira here. I have used it primarily for many years now. I do not recall exactly why I chose it over AVG back in the day. Since then I have run AVG on a few machines but recently just switched back to Avira. Avira seems to have more frequent updates and as commented above a bit more control and a smaller footprint.

I am considering trying their paid version on one of my machines. Of course it is just one weapon in the arsenal.

cheers,
ransom
~ XFX 780i SLI ~ Intel E8500 Stock ~ 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper Stock ~ EVGA 8800GT SC 512 MB Stock ~ Creative X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair 750w PSU ~ LianLi PC7h+ Case ~ WD Raptor 150 GB HD ~ Seagate Baracuda 250 GB HD ~ Logitech z5500 Speakers ~ Viewsonic vx922 ~ Razer Diamondback Mouse ~ Saitek Gamer's Keyboard ~

Laptop 1 : Toshiba Satellite Pro <- CLEAN - THANKS BC! ~ Laptop 2: Eee 701 4G ~ Laptop3: Eee 1000 HE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users