Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg8 uninstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 knothewizard

knothewizard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Many months ago I installed AVG8 Free download. After being told I had too many issues they wanted me to pay for the "full" software version. At that time I uninstalled the program. To present I have Webroot Antivirus with AntiSpyware, version 6.0.107. Looking into the Shields-Start Up Items, I saw that it has: AVG8_Tray, Location C:\progr~1\Avg\Avg8\Avgtray.exe listed. Registry or Startup Folder: HKLM:run It was checked-I unchecked it. Then went to the registry to see if it was indeed there-it is. My question is, why if this program was removed, did this stay? A lot of space used for a program that is not installed. How do I remove this from the registry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Try downloading this tool called 'avgremover':
http://www.avg.com/download-tools

I'm pretty sure it'll restart your pc automatically, so save your work first. When you run the program a black 'DOS' like box will popup, with lots of text appearing on screen. This is normal, just let it continue and it should be done pretty quick

#3 knothewizard

knothewizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

jisjman07, wanted to thank you for the info. The odd thing after, I ran the remover, never did get the restart screen. So I did a restart, went in and looked at the log avgremover, it showed there was nothing to remove! Then went back to the shields in WR and guess what, still listed. Sent another inquire to WR to see what they say. Such an strange thing. It is not listed anywhere on my system, not in startup-msconfig under HKLM:run (like WR states).

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

Well, if the AVG removal tool doesn't remove the startup from the registry then it is about as pitiful as the rest of their software has become--that's just my opinion.

I had AVG 8 on two computers when it first came out--uninstalled it from one pretty quickly and later gave up on it on the other. The second one i uninstalled using these instructions:
http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?13,121635,backpage=,sv=

If you read those instructions carefully, the first step--actually the whole method--is pretty counterintuitive. To uninstall you download the latest setup files and run setup. It's like clicking on Start with windows when you want to stop using it. But I had no problems using that method--I ran the removal tool afterward and it didn't find anything.

My question is, why if this program was removed, did this stay? A lot of space used for a program that is not installed. How do I remove this from the registry?

Registry entries do not really take up a lot of space--a couple of kilobytes for each maybe--it's about like removing a line of text from a Notepad file.
The AVG file is probably not still there, just the reg entry pointing to it. Files will take up some space, to be sure look in C:\Program Files\Avg\Avg8 and see if Avgtray.exe is there. And if the AVG folder is there, just delete the whole thing.

As far as deleting the reg entry--and as I said, it isn't taking up much space so it isn't a big deal to leave it as long as it is disabled--if you are familiar with the registry just delete the value under the run key. I don't recommend this tho unless you really know what you're doing. A safer way is to use a Startup manager that allows you to delete the value. Are you sure Webroot's doesn't delete? I don't know as I don't use it.

Two that I know of and use that will delete startup entries are Mike Linn's Startup Control Panel (my favorite) and AutoRuns:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

StartupCPL is the safest and easiet to use in your case. Once you install the program, start it--by going to the Control Panel--and right click on the entry and chose to delete. Deleted items are sent to a trash bin just like windows files--in case of a mistake they can be restored.

With AutoRuns, select the startup entry then go to the Entry menu and choose Delete. AutoRuns makes no backups, so before you use it to delete any entries, create a Restore Point first. Deleting run key entries are pretty safe, but there are other areas that, if deleted, will cause you to be unable to log onto windows or destroy your ability to connect to the internet.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users