Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My browser (FF3, Chrome) shuts down when I google "combofix"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 jennbryn

jennbryn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

I am running Windows XP with SP3. I noticed this morning when I googled "java" that when I tried to go to the java website, my browser was redirected to a spam shopping site and something called "cafemoms". Then it started showing a blank page when I clicked any result in google. Then that seemed to stop, and I found when I tried to go to a bleepingcomputer.com result in google, my browser would close by itself in both FF and Chrome.

I also notice in Chrome, when its finding a page it says "resolving proxy" for a few seconds at the bottom as its loading.

I downloaded MalwareBytes and managed to run it after changing the name of the program (it wouldn't run otherwise.) It found one nasty as well as some adware stuff, deleted it, but the issue with my browser closing by itself is still going on. I just entered "combofix" into google in FF, hit enter, and my browser shut down.

I am running Symantec Corporate Edition, supposed to scan in the background.

Edit: I posted my question in the Malware removal forum with more complete info.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=213921&st=

Edited by jennbryn, 25 March 2009 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users