Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor shows vertical green dotted lines

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spitaxe

spitaxe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

My Toshiba M35 Satellite laptop was purchased in 2003. Just recently it started showing faint vertical green dotted lines on the screen that tend to become worse the longer the computer is used. After about 30 minutes of use the lines become so bad that they distort words and pictures to the point where the computer must be shut down. If the machine has been used for an "extended" period of time (30 minutes), the screen will be completely black when attempting to restart windows. I am able to hear it restart (the signature Windows sound) but nothing appears on the screen. If the computer sits for an hour or longer it can then be restarted and the same process occurs. When I hook the laptop up to an external monitor the same problems occur. Other symptoms that have come along with these problems include:

1. Glitches on the Windows startup screen during boot-up.
2. After extended use internet browser becomes non-functional, i.e. when trying to scroll up and down only about 1/4 of the browser actually moves.

I have scanned the system in normal and safe mode using two different anti-virus programs and have found nothing. I have also opened the computer and dusted using a can of air, although, the inside looked very clean. I would appreciate any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Try booting in safe mode and if the green lines disappear, then its your video driver and you need to reinstall it

Let me know how it goes

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

Sounds like faulty graphics card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users