Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chaos5507

chaos5507

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

I was given a DELL XPS Gen 3 with a new hard drive. (The old one had crashed). I have the XP reinstallation CD. But all I get on the screen is "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" The hard drive and both CD drives are being reconized by the computer, I have also tried changing the boot sequence and turing of all the drives but the master CD drive. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Ok enable everything back and set the cd-rom drive as the first thing to boot (make sure the xp cd is inside) Also when you exit the bios make sure you save!!!

Edited by freelancer88, 25 March 2009 - 01:57 PM.

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#3 chaos5507

chaos5507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Ok enable everything back and set the cd-rom drive as the first thing to boot (make sure the xp cd is inside) Also when you exit the bios make sure you save!!!

Still not working?

#4 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Is the new hard drive a SATA drive? and was the old hard drive IDE?

Edited by freelancer88, 25 March 2009 - 02:33 PM.

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#5 chaos5507

chaos5507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

Is the new hard drive a SATA drive? and was the old hard drive IDE?

Yes I believe so, because in the BIOS it says Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)

#6 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

This is link should point in the right direction, xp and sata drives dont mix for some reason, this tells you how to install xp to a Sata Hard Drive

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Win...-F6-47807.shtml

#7 chaos5507

chaos5507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

This is link should point in the right direction, xp and sata drives dont mix for some reason, this tells you how to install xp to a Sata Hard Drive

This looks like it might work, but I can't get the drivers to download with out a floppy, any ideas?

#8 chaos5507

chaos5507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

This looks like it might work, but I can't get the drivers to download with out a floppy, any ideas?

This did not work, does any one have any more suggestions?

#9 chaos5507

chaos5507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

freelance, thanks for your help. It turns out that I needed to go old school and use the 6 disk floppy recovery set. with out that link I would have never figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users