Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Installation CD?!?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kvon

kvon

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Got a new Lenovo Thinkpad T500. I guess the standard practice these days is that new computers aren't being shipped with an OS CD...?? At some point in the future, what with this being a Windows machine an all - I'm sure I'm gonna want to do a clean re-install. Lenovo apparently puts some sort of bloatware utility on the machine to build a set of recovery CDs, but for reasons unknown, this software is absent on my machine. (Totally possible that it got wiped out when I did my usual post-buy house cleaning with the new computer). Lenovo tech support tells me that this utility (forget the name) is intended to be used exactly once, then it's disabled, or some such crap. Because of that, it's not available for download from their website.

So this all adds up to -- I can't get an OS CD. WTF?!?!?!!? Is this really a difficult request? I found some threads on how to make a recovery CD, but this process sounds slightly painful (specifically the part about having to wrangle up all your device drivers). PLEASE - someone tell me there's an easier way to do this!!

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

There is...just contact Lenovo.

Louis

#3 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

There is...just contact Lenovo.

Louis

Already tried that - dead end. Can you give me a hint about what to ask for?

#4 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

ask them if you can download an image of the operating system

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#5 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

kvon,

How did you make out with this, did you get it fixed, did you request an image download, Can I do the same thing with Compaq, I never received an installation CD either ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Jove-----You can order a "Recovery CD". See info in link below.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07143

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:10 AM

kvon,

How did you make out with this, did you get it fixed, did you request an image download, Can I do the same thing with Compaq, I never received an installation CD either ?

After a bit of hunting around I discovered that I had deleted the Lenovo "rescue & recovery" bloatware utility, but that the install files were still present on my machine. So I reinstalled it & ran it, and created the set of recovery disks. Not sure how or if this helps you Jove, unless Compaq has a similar utillity installed?

On a side note, I sure would love an explanation as to what exactly is built in to those recovery disks - there's 8 of them, so it's definitely more than just the raw OS installation. Anyone know?

#8 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

buddy215 and Kvon,
Thanks for the reply, I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between recovery disc and installation disc, but, I did get message back from Compaq and was told that MS, issues so many CD's like installation CD's, and that they issue them on a certain qty, according to the license deal they have with the computer manufacturer, so when the PC manf. is out of them and your still buying PC's that's it, you don't get one.

I see where Windows XP and Vista are somehow on one disc, I guess it has something to do with the installation of Vista, but of course there around 189 bucks, anyway I guess there is a lot of promo software on that recovery disc.

Yeah if I had the installation disc I could do repairs, like I have no audio at present and MS, recommends I delete SP3, then reinstall the drivers etc. I think it can be repaired with the installation disc.

When I find out what the difference is between a recovery disc and an installation disc, I probably know which way to go here.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#9 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

You can do the repairs you mentioned - delete SP3, reinstall drivers - without an installation disk, just download the drivers from the web. Unless there's more to the problem than that...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users