Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cruddy graphics!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loopyju

loopyju

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:33 AM

hi forum.

I'm a bit new to this, so I'm not exactly sure about how to go about solving my little problem.

I've just had a bad virus that i just couldn't remove from my computer, and so I was told to reformat the whole system.

I went from windows 98se to windows me, and now my graphics are crappy. :thumbsup:

I've tried changing the settings on my computer, but it wont give any options in the colour settings / screen area settings.

It's very annoying having to look at juddery pictures with gaps in. they look like they'll fall off the screen if i breath too hard near them.

someone, please help.

loopy :flowers:
x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:55 AM

Hi loopyju,

What kind of video card (graphics card/GPU/display adaptor) do you have? Is it a plug in card or onboard?
Have a look in Device Manager (right click on My Computer, click Properties) look under 'Display Adapter' - what does it show? Also check under 'Other Devices' for things the system does not recognise. Does anything have a red or yellow symbol after the device name?

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 loopyju

loopyju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

Hi Rimmer.

Thanks for your time. :thumbsup:

You asked what kind of video card I have. It's a standard PCI graphics adaptor (VGA), and it's onboard.

I couldn't find any other devices.

I hope you can help some more.

Thanks again.

Loopyju.

:flowers:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

It's a standard PCI graphics adaptor (VGA)

Ok, that's why you have poor graphics - Windows did not recognise the onboard graphics adapter.
You need to find the CD that was supplied with your motherboard (or system) which contains the motherboard drivers. This will include drivers for any onboard devices such as graphics or sound. Most of these CDs autoplay to a menu that clearly indicates the options available - just click the option and it does the rest. If not I'll try and talk you through a manual update, but try that first. I'd install any other drivers on that CD that look relevant as well. (Don't bother installing Acrobat reader and Internet Explorer if they come up because they will be way out of date.)

Make sure you have your system protected with anti-virus and anti-spyware and a firewall ASAP. Have a look in the Tutorials section for ways to keep your system secure on the internet and what to do before you connect:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ste...rnet-tut86.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

Edited by Rimmer, 13 June 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 loopyju

loopyju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hello again Rimmer.

That was a fast reply.

You as reliant as me for entertainment from your pc? :thumbsup:

Just kidding.

Got a bag of rubbish from the woman who had computer from new (it's about 10 years old!!), including a manual for a pc she used to own (not very usefull) and a load of office disks, but nothing with any direct relivence to this particular computer.

Ain't I a pain.

On a good note however, I already have anti-virus and anti-spy ware.
Ad-Aware
Spyware Blaster
AVG 7.0
CW Shredder

They're all free and updates are free on them all too. I think they're quite good.

Just on a mad firewall hunt now. I'll let you know how that goes.

I hope you can still help.

Loopy.
x

Edited by loopyju, 14 June 2005 - 11:37 AM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

You as reliant as me for entertainment from your pc?

Yes, a certified geek. Is it that obvious?

That's a good combo of anti-virus and anti-spyware you have there, try Zone Alarm from Zone Labs for a firewall (it's free too).

You have a 10 year old computer with onboard graphics? That was unusual back then - maybe it has been upgraded?
I need to know as much of the specifications of your machine as you can tell me.

This is what we need to do:-

You need a driver for the graphics chip/card on your PC.
We think it's part of the motherboard.
We need to identify the motherboard's manufacturer and model number.
Then we can search online for a manufacturer's site, a manual and hopefully a driver.

Download this free system analysis app and see if it can identify you motherboard:-
Everest download

Edited by Rimmer, 14 June 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#7 loopyju

loopyju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

Hello me dear.

A bit of Yorkshire for you there. :thumbsup:

Got a firewall like you recommended (I forget which one it is now).

Found out who manufactured my mother board too:
JETWAY INFORMATION CO., LTD

and the model number:
530BF/BN

Had a look at their web site, they're a Chinese company so I had to spend 35mins downloading a translation program. When I finally got there, I couldn't understand half the terms and phrases. I can barely understand English, never mind technical gobbledygook. :flowers:

Hope to hear from you soon.

Loopy.
x

ps.

Just been pratting about with the Everist thingy (that's me being technical) you advised me to get, and discovered a device called: North Bridge SIS 530.

I've heared of SIS Video drivers, and SIS audio drivers. You think I should try those? :trumpet:

Edited by loopyju, 15 June 2005 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

Ay-oop lass!

Well done with that info about your motherboard :thumbsup:

Your absolutely right, the SIS drivers are the ones you're after. Here is a link with drivers for the VGA and sound for the 530BF mobo (bottom of the page) -
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/driver/index-2.htm

That board is so old they didn't write drivers for ME but the ones for 95/98 should work.

Download the zip files to new folders called SISvga and SISsound for example, then extract all the files from the zip to those folders. Then go back to device manager double click on the Display Adapter and tell it to update the driver. Click 'Have Disk' when prompted and send it to look in the SISvga folder. It should then find the correct drivers and recognise your display adapter. When the install finishes you should find some more option in display settings so you can get decent graphics back again.

Good luck. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users