Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combo fix problems

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ritakay

ritakay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

I had a virus from Limewire on my Laptop - I went to Microsoft to a forum and it directed me to "Bleeping Computer" - I installed "Combo Fix" which was recommended to me from Bleeping Computer.
I thought I was simple running an "anit virus sweep" but now my laptop acts as though it has been Repartitioned. I am heartbroken - My mother just died and all the pictures I scanned in from
her house of her childhood - life - etc. now seem to be gone. Is there something I can do to retrieve my data? Has anyone ran "combo fix" before and maybe I'm just assuming everything is gone.
If anyone can help - thank you!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

There are hard drive recovery programs you can try, but everyone that i have ran into you have to pay. As for your limewire problems, switch to frostwire its a lot cleaner and safer. Lastly i would download malwarebytes from download.com and see if that takes care of your malware issue. If it doesnt just post back and we'll try to figure something out, just make sure if malwarebytes doesnt work you explain in full detail what you did and what went wrong

Good luck!

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#3 ritakay

ritakay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thank you for responding - I installed the "fix" previously and now my computer is showing nothing - no task bar - no icons - no start up menu - what have I done - has "combo fix" re - partitioned" my laptop and if so can I reverse it and retrieve data or should I put in a windows recovery disk and see what happens. thank you for your help!!!!

#4 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

chill press CRTL ALT DELETE

click file

click new task or run

type explorer.exe

I know you're out there, I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world ... without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

#5 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

the system recovery will destroy any chance of gettin those pics back, so lets get those first

#6 ritakay

ritakay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Doing it now

#7 ritakay

ritakay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

It's doing something - your are my hero - it says - Preparing Log Report - Do not run any programs until combofix has finished

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Ritakay, Unfortunately you have found out the hard way why you should not use Combofix on your own. I'm sorry for the loss of you mother, I know how precious those pictures are to you. Good luck on getting everything working again.

"Although ComboFix is very useful for the removal of spyware infections, it has limited functions. This is since it was only designed for specific infections, thus making it incapable of eradicating other computer viruses" (from HERE: http://www.tech-faq.com/combofix.shtml A note of caution to anyone who reads the site-there is no mention of running Combofix only under the supervision of someone trained in it's use. It is not recommended that you run it on your own)

Please note the message text in blue
at the top of the Am I infected?
What do I do?
forum.

ComboFix It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when
instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained in the use of the program.
ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance
and supervision of an expert
", NOT for private use.
Please read
Combofix's
Disclaimer
.. Using this tool incorrectly could
lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing
it from ever starting again.

(Papakid @ Mar 1 2009, 09:30 PM)
Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the
scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly
trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is
thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it
has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you
had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be
different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all
your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is
a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you
aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason.
Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall
and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion,
try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to
BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 March 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

No one at BC told or asked you to run CF. I checked,

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. [color=red][b]Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Any damage you have incurred is on yourself.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Do not run any programs until combofix has finished

Do not even move or click your mouse while it is running

You will only make it worse
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 ritakay

ritakay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

OH _NO - now I have another problem - I though I had fixed my laptop because I hit - Control - Alt - Delete as instructed - things started poping up again - it looked normal - I shut down my laptop and moved it to a new room. Now when I turn it on and log into my User name - it logs on and logs off immediately. Now what has happened? I feel so stupid - I should have downloaded my Mom's photos as soon as the computer came back up but I thought it was done and fixed. boo hoo

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

There comes a point where one must concede defeat. I believe the time for you is now
You best option is to reformat and reinstall
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 freelancer88

freelancer88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

dont give up, boot up in safe mode and transfer the pictures to a thumb drive

Edited by garmanma, 25 March 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

After all the confusion and problems, my guess is you will not be able to boot into safe mode, neither will a repair installation help you. The only thing to do to rescue your files I think is with a life CD.
Read the following site, for more information. Unfortunately I found it only today and havent been able to try it, but I read on the site it has a file-recovery function.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello.

I doubt Safe Mode will work. Try it and let us know. Also, Do you have a Linux CD? If not we can download one and I can give you instructions on that. I never tried DR-Web Cure It's live CD so I don't know how that works but if you want instructions on downloading a Linux image I could help you with that and boot into Linux and backup any pictures etc...

EDIT: After backing up your data and everything, the best option would be to format the machine as Garmanama mentioned already.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 25 March 2009 - 03:51 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users