Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E61: Media test failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andy H

Andy H

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, so please let me know if I have posted in the wrong section of the forum. I am having a problem when I boot my PC. After the BIOS screen I receive this error:

For Realtek RTL8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.08
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Boot failure
Press any key to continue.

When I go into the BIOS, I can see that my hard-drive is recognized. I disabled the "boot to network" option and the Realtek error went away, but the boot failure error remained. I opened up the PC and checked all of the cables to make sure that they were firmly connected. Right now I am running a Windows Repair; but I was hoping for some ideas/insight/input as to what the issue is.

Thanks,

AB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

That message comes up when network boot is defined as the first boot option.

I've had it happen to me a couple of times and I was pretty angry/mystified, since I never set the NIC as the first boot device (or any other).

One day, I realized that when I changed the CMOS battery or went to default settings...my default boot option was the NIC.

If your CMOS is not saving your setting the hard drive as the first boot device...then it may be time to replace your CMOS battery.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 Andy H

Andy H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply/insight hamluis,

I checked the Event Log in the BIOS and noticed that there was something logged in 2005 (??) about the CMOS battery failing. I took the CMOS battery out and replaced it (although I think the battery is still good). It turns out that it was the SATA drive. Upon boot you could hear the drive clicking. Once I replaced the drive (and reinstalled Windows XP) everything is back to normal boot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

Glad you solved it, feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

I'd still keep an eye open...I've never known a dead or defective hard drive to have any impact on BIOS boot options before.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users