Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer runs slower than it should

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fuegen

fuegen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

Greetings forum, this is my first post on this site. I was wondering if I might get some information on how to fix my computer. I was unsure where best to put this question, but I decided to just stick it here under the XP boards.

My computer is a dell E520 2.8ghz pemtium-D, 4gigs ram, 512 video card. When I try to play games on it, games that I have a the specs beat on by a mile, it still runs very slow and choppy. I have to turn down my settings on everything to its absolute minimum setting and it still is almost unplayable. I did do a reinstall back in February of XP, but I downloaded all of the drivers for the chipsets and things off of the dell site using my service tag linked to my computer. My video card is a GeForce 7300 LE.

Having said all of that, I was wondering if I can increase the speed of my computer any without going and buying a whole new one. If i get a different video card would that help? I already have 4gigs of ram, but do I need more? My 3d mark score on this computer is less than 3,000, and my laptop can get that score at half the resources.

Thanks for your help and time,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

You experience dissatisfaxtion...only when gaming?

Other than that, you are satisfied with the system's performance?

Do any maintenance on the system (chkdsk, defrag, remove junk programs)?

FWIW: 10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Louis

#3 Uzrik

Uzrik

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:35 AM

What kind of games? (names + which person)

if it is call of duty put these things like this.

CoD2-4

sync every frame: on
duel video cards/Optimize for SLI: on (if u have duel shouldnt matter just makes ping lower for MP)
your graphics can be on high!(unless CoD4 u can put texture on high all others normal!
put it in standard on screen type
anti alaising: off

give me better example(s) of games!

#4 Uzrik

Uzrik

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

also well of you have a dell pc some hardware/software do not work good together. You could try to get a new xp program and use that one. Or you could get Service Pack #(what ever you want if you don't have)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users