Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista v. Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 abx

abx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

I have Windows XP on my computer right now. I need a new computer. Should I buy a new computer with Windows Vista now or wait until Windows 7 is available? I don't like to change operating systems after I buy a new computer. Can anyone tell me specifically what Windows 7 has that Windows Vista does not have? Is it worth the wait for Windows 7? Thank you. abx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hi

From what I have heard, Windows 7 is everything that Vista should have been and addresses many issues that people had with Vista.
It's expected to be released around Christmas, so if I were you I'd wait till then. :huh:
Steve

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

In short, and among other features, the most obvious change is in the User Experience (UX).
Getting used to Vista after XP was more difficult than getting used to Win7 after Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hi

From what I have heard, Windows 7 is everything that Vista should have been and addresses many issues that people had with Vista.
It's expected to be released around Christmas, so if I were you I'd wait till then. :huh:

This post pretty much sums it up. I fyou really need a new computer just buy one then do the upgrade to 7 when it comes out.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Microsoft has stated (unofficially, of course) that they'll be offering upgrades to Win7 as a part of a package when buying a Vista system. So keep your eyes open for the offer!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Being a Windows Xp Pro user for several years. I have had very few problems using the New windows 7 interface, Thankfully most of the problems have been limited to either user error or software compatibility both of which will clear up by themselves. I think Microsoft has finally done their homework on this one.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Microsoft has stated (unofficially, of course) that they'll be offering upgrades to Win7 as a part of a package when buying a Vista system. So keep your eyes open for the offer!

Supposedly any computer bought on or after June 28, 2009 will be eligible for the free upgrade, so you might just wait until the end of June.

#8 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hey you guys, I've been running Windows 7 for years, except I don't call it Windows 7.

I simply call it Linux, with KDE. And it never crashes.

Way to go Microsft, a OS that works!

Ooops, I was just told that my OS is open Source. Thanks Linus and Rich and the Open Source Community.

Woo Hoo

Edited by RandomUser, 27 March 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hey you guys, I've been running Windows 7 for years, except I don't call it Windows 7.

Ooops, I was just told that my OS is open Source. Thanks Linus and Rich and the Open Source Community.

Woo Hoo

Hey, I heard that that there Lunix thingy was a hacker operating system! it say so right here: http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

#10 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Woo Hoo

Hey, I heard that that there Lunix thingy was a hacker operating system! it say so right here: http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

:huh: Nice AA, where did you find that?
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

I think it was featured on a TechTV program a few years ago. Also, StumbleUpon.

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

:huh:

Posted Image

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

I think it was featured on a TechTV program a few years ago. Also, StumbleUpon.

TechTV Video on YouTube

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

:huh: :huh: :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking.

REALLY? WHO IS THIS GUY? :huh: :huh:

LOL! I CANT EVEN FINSIH THIS WITH A STRAIT FACE.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 03 April 2009 - 12:25 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users