Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

250GB Hard Drive detected as 130GB?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:45 AM

Ok, I just built my own custom computer with a little from my friends. :thumbsup: And we got it all running and working now, however Windows XP Pro is only detecting the 250GB as 130GB, and this is even when we "formated," and partitioned with Windows XP Pro.

Its not the Hard drive, because we built 2 of the exact same (1 for me and 1 for my bro) however its happening on both machines.

Any help, without wipping the currect data on them? (We've already transfered the data from our laptops to the new computers with our 5pc network)

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 June 2005 - 02:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:58 AM

What kind of hard drives are these? There might be a Bios limitation you need to overcome.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

Windows can only detect 130gb. It did not tell you this when installing and formatting it? If these are IDE drives.

What you have to do is make another partion with the remaining space on it.
There is this Tutorial on how to add more partions.
http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/to...han%20137GB.htm
Hope this helps!

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

These are Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM.

They are connected usingt the "SATA" connected.

And no windows never told me anything about there bleep limitation. would it be worth it to get Windows XP Pro 64 bit? Does that detect HDD bigger than 130GB??

My system is a 64 bit system.

AMD Athlon 64 San Diego 3700+ Processor
Powercolor 256MB X800XL video card
1GB of RAM
DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 Motherboard

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 June 2005 - 12:42 PM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Western Digital Data LifeGuard tools has a fix for the OS not seeing more than 137GB. Go to this page in the manual and look for Install a Drive Larger than 137 GB on page 9. According to that SP2 will fix the problem.

Edit - Nope, you need the Data Overlay.

Edited by Leurgy, 13 June 2005 - 12:54 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

yanowhiz:

Please see the following support page from WD.

Western Digital Support
JC

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

[quote name='Joshuacat' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:55 PM']yanowhiz:

Please see the following support page from WD.

Western Digital Support[/quote]
How can I determine if my system has 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS)?

[quote name='http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_sid=n6AK8UHh&p_lva=950&%20p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ%3Cbr%20/%3E%209NDc3JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHl%3Cbr%20/%3E%20wZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9V2VzdGVybiB%3Cbr%20/%3EEaWdpdGFsIENhdmlhciBTRSBXRDI1MDBKRA%2A%2A&p_li=#']Problem:
The full capacity of EIDE drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary) is not recognized in Windows 2000/XP.

Cause:
The Windows Operating System, Motherboard BIOS, or PCI IDE controller BIOS does not currently support 48-bit LBA (Logical Block Addressing).

Resolution:
48-bit LBA support is necessary for drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary). The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA support in Windows 2000/XP:

* Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) must be installed for Windows or a registry key must be manually added to Windows' Registry. For information about Windows XP Service Pack 1, see Microsoft Article 322389 or for Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, see Microsoft Article 320853.

* The system must have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs. Please determine with the computer, motherboard, or PCI IDE conntroller manufacturer if this hardware supports 48-bit LBA.[/quote]

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 June 2005 - 01:17 PM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

You can download the Data LifeGuard tool and it will allow the full size of the drive to be recognized without formating and reinstalling. Did you already partition it more than once?

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

I've only partitioned it using Microsoft Windows partition thingy when your installing it.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

How can I determine if my system has 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS)?

Your new system should be 48-bit LBA-compatible.
Follow Leurgy instructions, the new Data LifeGuard tool looks like it will do the job for you. They have come a long way with these utilities...
JC

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:20 PM

Ok I'm doing it right now. First I'm doing back-ups just in case I could loose something.

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:09 PM

Ok now I got a serious problem. :-\

I downloaded the software for DOS and restarted with it and got it all partitioned and stuff, however now when I goto install Microsoft Windows, its hangs at the part where on the bottom it says "Starting Microsoft Windows..."

I waited 30 minutes to an hour and nothing more happened. (Yes I have a legal copy of windows, I bought it from CompUSA a few years ago).

When I made the partition I made 2, one with 200GB and another with 50GB... should I make just one partition?

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

You didn't really need to do it in Dos or repartition. When you reinstalled XP did you partition with that or just the WD DLG?

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

I repartitioned with the WD software in DOS.

And Yes I have to do it in DOS because I kept get an error message saying since that I'm doing the partition from the Hard Drive that needs partition, I need to do it in DOS.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

That makes sense.

You might have to wipe it and start again. Did you try a repair install?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users