Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

So, I was at my grandma's yesterday.

I downloaded and started playing a game.

The laptop over there has 1 GB ram, and a 128MB video card.
FPS; 45 - 62
Internet download speed; 7.0 MBPS ( 850 KB/S downloading. )

My desktop at home has 1 GB ram, and a 128 MB video card.
FPS;19 - 25.
Internet download speed; 756KPS? ( 115 KB/S downloading. )

Should I upgrade my internet connection or get a better video card!?

( I'm going to get a video card soon, but I want to know which I should get first. Internet connection upgrade or video card. )

ATT has offered me the same plan my grandma has, which is 10-15 dollars more than my current one!

Should I take the offer, or get a video card? Answers plawks.

EDIT;
I only have PCI ports/slots.

Is this a good video card? o:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...0&CatId=319

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 25 March 2009 - 05:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

The major difference between download speeds is probably the cause of the difference in FPS (assuming it was the same game). I would suggest that the internet upgrade would give you the most bang for the buck, and moreover vastly improve your internet experience. Since I am by no means a hardware expert, I cannot advise about the videocard, but at the video memory seems very good for the price.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

What game is it that you are playing?

What is the specific graphics card your computer has now? You can't judge a graphics card only by the amount of memory it has. If you're stuck with only PCI slots, that is probably the best card to get. If you're playing an online game, you'll probably want a better internet connection however, the low FPS is mostly due to insufficient graphics or processor. You're grandma's may be 128mb, but it may be a newer/better card then yours. She may also have a better processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Sorry, my video card on this desktop is a 64 MB. I read incorrectly, and the game that ranged at that FPS rate was Drift City.

But I really need to know if the Video card is a better upgrade than the Internet upgrade.

Would the Graphics card increase my FPS better than the itnernet upgrade, in other words.

Edit;

My grandma has a laptop that uses a Geforce 8500 I think?

My graphics card is the factory shipped, fail intel card.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 27 March 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Haha, Drift City is a fun game I've been playing lately! :thumbsup:

The FPS issue is your graphics card. If you're interested in a new one, let us know the make and model of your motherboard or computer, and let us know your price range. Do you have the other specs of your computer too? If you're just playing drift city, you could play with a fairly cheap graphics card, if you have a pciex16 slot or at least an agp slot.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

As I've said, I only have a PCI slot. I've set my eyes on a pretty good graphics card..

If you can find a better PCI graphics card, at a cheaper price, I'd really like to know.

Well, would I notice a difference from

This model, compared to this model?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1&CatId=319

Cause I can really only spend 50, but I'm willing to go over 55 for the 512 MB.

EDIT;

I also play Counter Strike; Source, Cross Fire, and some Korean racing games. ( Average FPS for all of these games range from 18 to 32. )

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 31 March 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

You probably wouldn't notice too big of a difference among them. The only difference is the amount of memory, as you stated. With a lower-end PCI card, playing older games, and if you're playing on a screen that is less than 20", you probably won't notice the difference.

#8 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

The video cards are way better than my Intel on board graphics that's only 64 MB right?

And are the cards that I might get, suitable for Drift City?

This is where I need help..

I only have a 300 WAT power supply, and I don't know what the required wat power they need.

I don't really have anything that uses alot of my power toward the CPU.

There's not a single thing that is in either of the PCI slots, so yeah..

My friend said the Power supply requirement was just safety wise, assuming that the company thinks you at least have a few other things in your PCI slots, or things that are using up a lot of power.

So, can someone help me find the required Wat power needed for the video cards I listed in my previous post?

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 02 April 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

You will be fine. I ran an ATI X1300 PCI card, which probably uses about the same power as that card, if not more, off a cheap Dell 250 watt power supply. It worked perfectly fine.

It should work in a game such as drift city, or older games (2005 or earlier) but if you try playing newer games such as Crysis, Need For Speed, Fear 2, etc. you'll still have problems playing the games. However, with the integrated graphics you probably wouldn't even be able to open those games, but with this card, you could chug along with low FPS on low settings. In games though, you should notice more FPS and get a better quality image since you'll be able to turn the settings up to at least medium.

Your processor can also be a reason for low FPS, but a graphics card upgrade would bring a much greater increase, and be cheaper.

#10 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

I know it's not my processor. I believe drift city requires 1.8 GHZ? Counter strike requires 2.10 I have a 2.80 GhZ Processor.

I had an old gaming computer that got fried on a very bleeped up day. D: I had two ATI cards crossfired, they were at least worth 150 each. I put alot of money into the computer too, so yeah. I'm lagging behind in power with this old back-up computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users