Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update/antivirus not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sean cameron

sean cameron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

Since a few weeks I started noticing the following symptoms:

1) Frozen on Startup
-When I would turn the computer on it would freeze as the desktop loaded. This symptom began by occurring repeatedly, but no only occurs occasionally

2) Hardware malfunction type errors
-sound driver seems to uninstall itself/become unavailable intermittently with for visible reason. I can get it back by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, or a reboot.
-network card seems to encounter a similar problem, and my internet will cease to function. On the "choose a wireless network" screen I get a message saying "windows cannot configure this wireless connection", rather than a list of available networks.

3) Browser/Internet Issues
-I started noticing an abundance of ads for a company selling a bleep enlargement medication called Vimax. At first I thought it was just really aggressive marketing, but I soon realized that the ads were on sites I would not expect to allow such advertising.
-Going to windows update redirects to google.
-Avira can't connect to it's update server.
-When I'm doing nothing (right after turning the computer on), my internet connection still experiences heavy use documented on the sent and especially received activity meters.

That's what I've got for now. I'm running Windows XP, I use Firefox to browse, Avira for antivirus. Assuming it's malware, I'm not sure how I installed it, unfortunately.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to mention I tried downloading and installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I installed it successfully, but I have been unable to run it.

Edited by sean cameron, 25 March 2009 - 02:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not run, try renaming it and changing the file extension.
  • Open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on the mbam.exe file, rename it to myscan and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update through the program's interface or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users