Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer runs "hard" @ times...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Lately my computer(HP)runs "hard" or loud at times. The sound is hard to explain, kind of like the noise the CD/DVD drive makes. I can't tell if that's what it is or if it's something else. Last night it started doing it...it would start making the running noise for maybe a minute then it would stop maybe for 5 minutes and start up again. It did this until I finally shut it off completely. Tonight I opened it and disconnected the plastic plug that goes to the CD/DVD drive. I didn't disconnect the ribbon connection though because I really didn't know what I was doing. :thumbsup:
I've been using the computer now for the last 2-3 hours and it hasn't had the noise(yet). While I had the computer open I did notice one of the fans was really dirty so I cleaned it and cleaned some of the dust out along with the vents. If the fan is dirty, real dirty, could that cause the computer to run hard and surge like I described? One of the fans, I would describe it as the middle fan, had a lot of dust on it and around it.
This has been going on for a couple months, off and on. I hope I explained this all right. Thanks.
Btw, I still have the plastic plug off of the CD/DVD drive.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

Check your fans for play in the shafts, if they are noisy they are on their way out.!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 24 March 2009 - 09:49 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

The fans are working. One of them had a lot of dirt built up on it and around it though. I cleaned it and it'd running o.k..
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

I opened it up again and cleaned the 3 fans. Two of them were real dirty and the screens/filters were clogged. I blew everything clean with some compressed air spray. While I was in there I added 2 more G's of RAM. So far it's been doing fine plus I can tell the difference in the added RAM. Thanks for the help. I learned a lesson...CLEAN MY COMPUTER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users