Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router for laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

I have a trendnet tew-432BRP

i got it set up for wireless internet, with a secure wpa2 password, and the internet works fine(it just takes a while to connect sometimes, even though the signal is strong)

i want to be able to print from my laptop on the printer that is hooked up to my pc. If i use the microsoft wizard the internet doesn't work, and i still can't see the files or printer on the other computer.

let me know what info you need to help me out with this

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

What is OS on both laptop and wired pc. Well you can start of with first sharing the printer by right click and chosing option "sharing" and reboting your laptop should find the printer.

"If i use the microsoft wizard the internet doesn't work, and i still can't see the files or printer on the other computer." Please explain this bit more. Did you mean network setup wizard.

If you answer my first Question, all your queries can be dealt I guess

Thanks

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

both computers are running windows xp.
Yes i was talking about the network setup wizard.
i already right clicked and shared the printer, but i didn't restart. i wil try that now

#4 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

restarting did not help. I don't even see my desktop from the laptop in my network places, or the otherway around

the laptop has xp media center edition
desktop has home edition

#5 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Are you running a firewall? XP's? a third party's? If you are you, did you set a IP range in the trusted zone to allow your local network traffic? Example, 192.168.1.100 tru 192.168.1.150 in the trusted zone (depending on what router you use, and if you use the default DHCP IP range)

If you're not running a 3rd party firewall and had XPs built in firewall disabled, running the network setup wizzard will enable XP's by default and will block file and print sharing until set up right.

#6 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

thanks, i got it. My mcafee firewall was setup correctly, but i didn't realize the wired pc had the windows firewall turned on aswell.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users