Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan does not spin up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Ok so I got this comp, friend put it together for me. First time we booted up the CPU fan would not spin up. It's been through 3 cpu fans all of which were thought defective or did not fit the motherboard cpu fan power, and 2 motherboards one of the motherboards was claimed DoA by a technician got the RMA'd board and the exact same problem occured, cpu fan would not spin up. also at the POST screen it says the "FAIL, fan speed is too low.. It still does not spin up. Motherboard is an ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe and the CPU fan is a Zalman CNPS 8700 NT.

Thanks in advance

Edited by mooniniteman, 24 March 2009 - 06:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

What processor are you using with the motherboard? I don't think the processor is dead, but sometimes you may need to update the motherboard BIOS to support newer processors, such as the AMD Phenom II's. I just read through a couple reviews of the motherboard, and it seems a couple people were having problems with the computer not detecting the processor correctly. You said it POST's but are any of the fans spinning?

Also, what type of power supply do you have?

Edited by Sterling14, 24 March 2009 - 07:16 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

hyper type r mk2 880w all the fans spin but the cpu.am2cpu 2600

Edited by mooniniteman, 24 March 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hmm, what processor are you using?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

That processor should be working fine with it.

I would now, to isolate problems from something else, take the motherboard out of the case, and place it on a piece of cardboard. Connect only the bare minimums, such as processor, heatsink, one stick of ram, and power supply. Connect the power supply and heatsink like you would normally. Now to start the computer, touch the two power on pins with a screwdriver at the same time. These are the pins you would hook the connections for the power button on the case to. Oh ya, hook up your monitor, mouse and keyboard too.

#7 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Ok I am not at my friends house to help him with his computer right now (he lives about an hour drive from me) but Ill talk to him and post back with results later on

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

While you're at it, you might as well reset the cmos by taking out the quarter-sized battery for a few minutes. (unplug the system from the outlet first of course). Check to make sure the cmos jumpers on the motherboard are in the right position too. The online manual for the motherboard should be able to tell you the proper way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users