Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS cooling fan constantly running at full speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 te0o0

te0o0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

The cooling fan on my fairly new (about 10 months old) Dell XPS M1330 is suddenly refusing to slow down. Every time the computer is turned on, the fan starts out at full speed and won't stop until the laptop is shut down again. Other times, when the computer is turned on, the fan pulsates on/off at full speed with a 2 second interval.

I've run SIW (System Information on Windows) to check the temperatures on the computers' internal hardware, and everything seems fine (all values are at minimum temperature).

This problem is really starting to annoy me. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

There's some discussion about this on the Dell forums.(assuming that this is the same issue) http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19242368/19372866.aspx
Do you have the video card that it mentions?
Couple of things that you could try from the suggestions in the link:

Blow out the fans with a can of compressed air.
Upgrade to the latest bios for your system.

If that doesn't help, since your system is likely still under warranty, call Dell. Most have a 1 year parts warranty.
JC

#3 te0o0

te0o0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanx JC for the reply + link.. It seems Dell has encountered some problems with their use of the nVIDIA 8400 GS video card in the XPS M1330 laptop, and has therefore issued an driver update which causes the cooling fan to always run at max speed..

The below is taken from the forum discussion in your link:

"starting from bios A11, Dell introduced a 'thermal control' improvement which actually means 'your fan will be almost always running at medium to max speed'. This is because nvidia publicly announced that a serious issue with the 8400 chip".

Dell did this so that the 8400 chip won't be fried before the laptop-warranty has expired. Unbelievable that they can get away with these things!

Anyway, I updated my BIOS and the problem seems to have disappeared (at least I haven't heard anything from the cooling fan over the last 20 minutes). All I have to do now is hope that the computer won't melt down because of the nVIDIA mailfunction..

Again, thanks for your help. I will keep you (and others) posted if anything happens.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, for keeping us informed.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users