Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs at start up with 1TB Iomega Drive attached

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

I have an older Gateway system (510G). P4 2.6 Ghz. I am running Win XP Home SP3. I have 2.5 gb RAM. I purchased an Iomega Prestige 1TB External USB HDD to use as a psuedo NAS. It's a pretty slick drive, but the issue I continue to have is that I cannot leave it powered on and connected to the desktop "server". My computer "hangs" at startup. Then, I have to power down the USB drive, restart the computer, power up the drive, and then share it again.

I consulted the Iomega website.

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/i...amp;p_topview=1

(Not much help)

I have checked the BIOS to disable booting from the USB.

I tried to upgrade my BIOS, with no luck. I downloaded the BIOS upgrade from Gateway, created the disk, and ran iflash.exe. It returned an error that "this system cannot be flashed" or something like that.

I was reading a different post that was discussing partitions on these large USB drives. Do you think if I partitioned it to a 250 and 750, or 250, 250, and 500 that would help?

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

It's the attached device...which is powered/on. XP senses it and tries to account for it and it throws off the boot process.

The solution seems simple enough.

Louis

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

Do you mean the solution of turning the drive off each time I power down the computer?

Well, yes, that does work, and that's what I have been doing, but my goal is to be able to power up with the drive attached and on. I attached this drive to my desktop and hoped to use it as a storage drive for all 3 computers on my network. And, I can use it as such, but I have to power it down prior to starting my desktop (so it will boot), then I have to power it up and then I have to go back into the properties for the drive to make it a shareable drive, again. Wouldn't bee too bad, but I try to power down all computers in the house each day (think green).

So, the Iomega web site suggested an upgrade to the BIOS. I went to Gateway, found an upgrade for my system (and it even mentioned that one of the updates pertained to large volume USB drives). The motherboard is a Midway and the current BIOS is .15A.0043.P7 (I don't remember the first 4 or 5 - 84865 or something? The one from gateway was .15.0066.P7. I also found one in Intels' website that was close but MUCH newer (.86A.00??.P25).

I downloaded both of these. The one from Intel was an all in one, one step BIOS upgrade. Double click, and the program takes over. Restart and your all set. Sounded GREAT, so that's what I did. Of course, it didn't work. Message about "not able to complete the task" or something.

Then, I read the instructions about the gateway option. Had to create a win98 boot disk and then add some files to the disk (iflash.exe, for one). Then, reboot and run iflash.exe. Again, it was supposed to walk me through the ne BIOS install. After running iflash.exe, I got an error message that said something like "this system cannot be flashed".

So, I came here hoping for someone who may know more about this than I do. That's the rest of the story........

If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Updating the BIOS, you generally need to do it one step at a time.

For example: Say you're BIOS is version 1, and you want to upgrade it. There is a version 3 upgrade out, that you want to download and install. To do this, you must first install the version 2 update, then you'll be able to install the version 3 update. The Gateway one would probably be a better choice too, just to be on the safe side.

Also, what USB port are you using? try the ones on the back if you're using the front, or the oens on the front if you're using the back. Does the hard drive have an external power adapter, or does it get it through the USB?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

I am finding that the BF86510A.15A.0043 cannot be updated using the BF86510A.83A.0066. Intel says they don't support the board and Gateway says they don't! I'm kind of stuck.

The drive uses AC power and I have tried it in all of the USB ports, front and back.

I read in a post on motherboards.org

http://motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.p...f8bbfae9cfc69d1

that a guy used the SIMILAR update to his gateway motherboard to update his BIOS. I'm wondering if I can back up my current BIOS, try what he did, and if it doesn't work, put the old (Current) BIOS back on? What do you think?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

If the new BIOS version you install isn't supported by your motherboard, it may turn it into a brick. The BIOS is the instructions telling the motherboard how to function, and what the settings are. If you use a different one, and it can't read it, then it's not going to know how to work anymore.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Isn't there a way to back up my current BIOS? If I flash with the one that is "close", and it doesn't work, I would like to go back to the original.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

If the BIOS flash doesn't work with your motherboard, you won't be able to put the old BIOS back on because the motherboard will be dead. Unless you are very good with soldering and can solder on a new BIOS from the same type of motherboard :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users