Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme PC Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gakor

gakor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

Before I start I would like to point out that I did read the "Slow Computer?" threads and followed the insturctions.

Anyways, as stated in the title, my computer has drastically slowed down. The slowdown was very sudden and I am not sure what to do. Even my internet has slowed down (although it works fine on other PC's on the same network).
It is a shared PC and so I cannot tell you what was going on around the time this started to happen, as I was not on it. I do know, however, that nothing significantly out of the ordinary was going on.

I have ran an Malewarebytes' Anti-Malware scan, and an AVG scan. Both of them come up clean. When running a Spybot S&D scan, I get many errors like this:

Error during check!
Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts [1 - $63CDFA57] (Out of memory)

When the scan gets to this area (which is about 30% progress through the scan) the scan slows down immensly. At the moment, it is still scanning... and it is up to 495 errors, all the same as the one above.

Other then the slow performance, there is nothing noticably wrong with the computer. I see no signs of any virus anything else that could be a problem.

Other then removing a few services that were not required, and what I have mentioend above, I have not done anything esle to resolve this issue. I have no idea what to do or what could be wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Have you added anything to the HOSTS file, used a Custom HOSTS file or used a security program which may have added entries to it? If so, then that is normal behavior and Spybot is just letting you know its been altered so you can investigate.

Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file in an attempt to redirect your browser, it does not do so without infecting other areas of your system. There are several legitimate security programs like SpySweeper, STOPzilla, Spybot S&D, etc which can add entries to the HOSTS file and that action may be detected as a change. If you use Spybot's immunization facility the "Global (Hosts)" profile adds entries to the HOSTS file. If you downloaded and used a custom HOSTS file or made edits that too would trigger a change detection. If you did not make any changes or do not have security programs with these features, then you need to investigate what the changes are.Anything that appears in your HOSTS file without an # at the beginning, except from the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line, should be viewed with suspicion. Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file in an attempt to redirect your browser, it does not do so without infecting other areas of your system.

To view the folder containing your Hosts file, go to Start > Run and type: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

I do use Spybot S&D's immunization feature, and the HOSTS file has been edited itself a few times.
However, at this point I am no longer sure whats going on in there. Its a very, very long list now.

Would the HOSTS file being edited cause global PC slowdown?
It is not just the internet;
Even games (its a gaming PC) that the PC should be able to run flawlessly are taking up extreme amounts of memory and are going slowly.

Would it be possible to get a 'fresh' hosts file and 'start over' ?
I'm sure pressing "IMMUNIZE" again won't be much of a problem.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

If you open the Hosts file, the note at the top will show the entries were inserted by other security programs like Spybot:

# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# This list is Copyright 2000-2008 Safer Networking Limited
127.0.0.1 007guard.com
127.0.0.1 www.007guard.com
127.0.0.1 008i.com
127.0.0.1 008k.com
127.0.0.1 www.008k.com
127.0.0.1 00hq.com
127.0.0.1 www.00hq.com
127.0.0.1 legal-at-spybot.info
127.0.0.1 www.legal-at-spybot.info
# This list is Copyright 2000-2007 Safer Networking Limited
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

If you connect to the Internet using AOL, a custom dialer, through a Local Area Network (LAN) or a remote proxy server, using a HOSTS file may not work. Using a remote proxy server (which does the DNS requesting for you) prevents the HOSTS file from being used. The browser will route its request through the proxy server before your machine looks up an entry in Hosts. The DNS serivce needs to be disabled and computer rebooted for the HOSTS file to take effect. Failing to disable DNS service will result in slow performance.HostsXpert is a Host File Management tool to view the hosts file, set it to read only, backup, edit, and restore to MS default.

#5 gakor

gakor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well, I got a new hosts file and re-immunized it.
I disabled the DNS client.

A Spybot scan went through clean.
I have noticed some imporovment, but it still seems to be a bit slow.

I have not fully tested it yet, though. I guess if I find any further problems, I will post here.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

Ok.

I did read the "Slow Computer?" threads

We have a couple of them. Not sure which you read but make sure you read this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users