Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatible RAM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LizardKing64

LizardKing64

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi guys,
I've been trying to find the right RAM to upgrade my computer and have been having trouble finding anything that works. I'm just wondering if there is something that I need to look for beyond the type and speed of the RAM.

I have an HP Media Center PC m1070n that currently has two sticks of 256 in it. There are 4 total slots. I checked crucial.com and found that I need: 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200.

Now I've tried twice to upgrade my RAM without success. The first time was with some that I bought from Bestbuy. It cause a BSOD for some reason and I returned it. So then I tried some high density RAM from ebay, this didn't work at all either.

So I'm thinking of getting the memory off crucial, but am also looking for a little better price if at all possible. I've been checking Amazon and ebay for compatible memory and there are a lot of sticks of pc3200 available, but I don't want to buy it and have to return it again because it doesn't work. I know that I don't want high density and will want a name brand.

Is there anything else that I need to look for when shopping for RAM to decide if it's compatible?

Thanks.
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

There are many places to get RAM, Newegg, TigerDirect, Best Buy, etc. There are several good producers of RAM such as Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Mushkin, etc. You can use a maximum of 4GB of DDR-400 (PC 3200) with that PC. Note you will need a 64-bit operating system to use all 4GB due to memory addressing. You can buy 4GB, but you will be limited to 3GB - 3.5GB of memory for the OS. Given the age of DDR-400, the price will be a bit higher than common DDR2 memory modules. Anyway, here are some links.

2GB memory kits (2x1GB sticks for a total of 2GB)
G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

1GB memory kits (2x512MB sticks for a total of 1GB)
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

3939.png

#3 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks DJB. That Gskill looks like a great deal. Thanks for the help!
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Before putting out the money, check the customer reviews for those particular memory sticks at New Egg. Many times you will see people that have used it with no problem as well as others that did have a problem. :thumbsup:

I can see that the first G-Skill kit doesn't like Dells (me too). :huh:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users