Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does this set-up look?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 red_devil

red_devil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi guys.
This is my first post/ first build. Can you let me know what you think of this set-up.
I "think" everything will be compatible. I want a pc that is up to date, and will be good for a few years and that i can play Call Of Duty, Medal Of Honor, etc on.

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
Nippon Labs ICR-BB All-in-one USB +eSATA Card Reader
Logitech LX 710 Laser Black USB Cordless Standard Desktop
RAIDMAX AURA ATX-927WB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

This all comes to around $1350, which is about my budget. I will go to $1500 if needed.
Please let me know if you would change anything. Am i missing anything?
Not sure about case, or if i should get a better cpu fan than the stock one.
Thanks for any and all advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

It looks great to me, and you will breeze through those games you mentioned.

The case is pretty nice looking, but with a system like that, you may want a full tower, not mid tower. If you decide to add in a second graphics card, more hard drives, and a bigger heatsink, you may want more room.

You don't need an aftermarket heatsink for the processor, but if you plan on overclocking a lot, you ma want to. If you're not going to overclock a lot, then I wouldn't bother.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 red_devil

red_devil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Sterling14.

I will look at full size towers, the case i picked was just thrown in at the last minute, mainly cos it looked good, and didn't have time to research them more.
Not sure if i'll add another graphics card or not, if so it'll be in the future, so will leave out the heatsink for now too.
I just wanted to be sure everything else i picked was compatible.
Any thoughts on Vista Ultimate? Is it worth the extra 70 bucks? I don't mind spending it, if it is worth it.

Thanks again for your reply

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

You only need Ultimate if you are planning on doing some high-level stuff, or want things like Bitlocker. I agree with sterling, a full ATX tower would be best if you plan on installing another graphics card or simply want to have a larger and cooler case.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users