Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1817 Destination Disk is full

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Stimp11

Stimp11

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

I am trying to backup my computer before installing the XP SP2 disk sent to me by microsoft after unsuccessfully dwonloading SP2 from the web (400+_tries and counting...and had help from Microsoft)

Anyway, When I try to backup using the recovery disk...it gets about 14% finished and says "Error 1817 Destination DIsk is full". then it reboots, ejects the recovery disk, prompts me to restart computer.....

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:07 PM

What do you mean by recovery disk? I have used recovery CD's to take a brand name computers back to their 1st run state, but I am not sure what you are refering about in this post. Where is this being backed up to? Do you have enough free space on your computer?

What is the make/model of your computer?
JC

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

you really have no need to backup your files when you install sp2.....you can always use system restore.

#4 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

ok
The backup for my computer (Compaq 5420) is on the "recovery CD"...along with create an emergency diskette, restore backup files and the global System Factory restore....I have no other way to backup my computer..except burn cd's with files, etc. once inserted there is a menu to choose what you want to do.
I am just paranoid I will wipe out everything when i install this...I think it is the entire XP plus SP2...The disk says Microsoft Windows xp Home Edition...unlicensed software Includes Service Pack 2, Version 2002. There is a product code with it...nothing else. It was shipped directly from Microsoft

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

Ok, I understand what you mean by backing up files with system restore. I found a reference to it on the Compaq website.

Compaq system restore and back-up.

Here's the option you are doing, right?

Compaq User Backup
Backs up all information and files on your hard drive and stores them in a separate partition on your drive.

How much space do you have left on your extra partition?(if it is visible) I would assume by the message that it is full, or it cannot get any bigger.

Going back to the whole reason you are trying to do this...

The disk says Microsoft Windows xp Home Edition...unlicensed software Includes Service Pack 2, Version 2002. There is a product code with it...nothing else. It was shipped directly from Microsoft

Is this what you used to originally install XP on your system? The files for SP2 should be on a directory on this CD. There is probably a readme file on the CD that you can open with a description of what/where everything is.

As part of the installation of SP2, it will back up your current system files in case you want to revert back..You also have the XP system recovery...in case you are worried.

Whenever I make a significant change to my computer, I always back-up my data to cdRW/DVDRW. For me that includes only the MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER. I have the CD for everything else, or can easily download all the rest of the free utilities.
JC

#6 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

Here's the option you are doing, right?
Compaq User Backup
Backs up all information and files on your hard drive and stores them in a separate partition on your drive. ] YES

How much space do you have left on your extra partition?(if it is visible) I would assume by the message that it is full, or it cannot get any bigger. WHERE CAN I FIND THAT INFO?

Is this what you used to originally install XP on your system? NO, Computer is 2-3 years old...came with XP installed. Just won't download SP2 from web...Microsoft sent it to me a couple of months ago after they assisted me with no luck..

As part of the installation of SP2, it will back up your current system files in case you want to revert back..You also have the XP system recovery...in case you are worried.

Whenever I make a significant change to my computer, I always back-up my data to cdRW/DVDRW. For me that includes only the MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER.

I DID THIS...I do this several times a year (usually during hurricane season (I live inf FL)) :thumbsup: partly for a carry along during evacuations disc and partly b/c I didn't know how to backup everything..then I figured out how..and it won't work...what luck ;)

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

From within My computer, right click on your Local Drive C:, click Properties...how much used space and free space, plus capacity do you have? From that, I should be able to figure out the size of the "hidden partition".

I DID THIS...I do this several times a year (usually during hurricane season (I live inf FL)) smile.gif partly for a carry along during evacuations disc and partly b/c I didn't know how to backup everything..then I figured out how..and it won't work...what luck ;)

Yikes! We don't have that much excitement up here. The odd snow storm in the winter..and heat and humidity in the summer..I can see where offsite back-ups come in handy down there.

:thumbsup:
JC

#8 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

Used: 27.8 GB
Free 20.3 GB
Capacity 48.2 GB

Hmmm..looks like I have more used than free....

#9 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

I have lived in FL for 6+ years....ever had hurricanes, only one tropical storm threat...I moved to near the beach (2 blocks) last year...2 hurricanes hit, 2 stressful threats....

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

Ok, unfortunately, that does not give me the size of your hidden partition. Also, the model # does not show that you have a hard disk that is that big.

Let's try something else, To start and use Computer Management on the local computer:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management, Click Storage, Disk Management.

What do you see on the right hand side of you screen?
On mine, it gives me the size of main drive. It also lists my IBM service partition.
JC

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

This is the XP system restore, but lets check out its size along with the info I requested above. Do the following:

1.Click Start, and then right-click the My Computer icon.

2.Click Properties, and then click the System Restore tab.

What do you see? All info please.
JC

#12 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

What do you see on the right hand side of you screen?
On mine, it gives me the size of main drive. It also lists my IBM service partition.

Ok...
In Dark Blue:

(c:)
48.23 GN NTFS
Healthy (System)

In light gren:
22.40 GB
Free Space

In light blue:
System_Sav (D:)3.90 GB FAT32
Healthy

I should also point out that the light green and blue are surrounded by a DARK green box...

Key at bottom:

Dark Blue Primary Partition
Dark Green Extended Partition
Light Green Free Space
Light Blue Logical Partition

#13 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

This is the XP system restore, but lets check out its size along with the info I requested above. Do the following:

1.Click Start, and then right-click the My Computer icon.

2.Click Properties, and then click the System Restore tab.

What do you see? All info please.

System restore can track and reverse harmful changes to your computer

Turn off System Restore in all drives (box unchecked)

Drive Settings

To change the status of System Restore or the maximun amount of disk space available to System Restore on a drive, select the drive, and then click Settings

Available Drives: Status

(c:) Monitoring

SYSTEM_SAV(D:) Monitoring

#14 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Ok, this would be the partition that you are backing your drive to.

In light blue:
System_Sav (D:)3.90 GB FAT32
Healthy

Earlier you said,

Used: 27.8 GB

So you are trying to copy 27.8GB of data onto the 3.9 GB partition.

Anyway, When I try to backup using the recovery disk...it gets about 14% finished and says "Error 1817 Destination DIsk is full"

I see why it is crashing at 14%.

Did you try to see what the XP system restore is set at?
Just making sure that it is not tied in with your compaq back-up. I doubt it, but it is worth a look.

Reply back,

Joshuacat
JC

#15 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

Disk space use tab is slid all the way toMax
12% 5926 MB

I have quite a few pictures saved on my computer from my digital camera...If I save them to disk (and delete from computer) will that help?
If I save them to a disk can I still upload them to email, etc. and print as needed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users