Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS changed magically !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hello Again.
Here it is.
Yesterday my acer e380 desktop was running like a charm. My girlfriends son was on it last night and when I woke up this morning the OS had changed from xp home to xp pro. I asked him if he changed anything and he said no but im not so sure. I do have a copy of xp pro burnt to my harddrive.
Ever since the changes I cant run the following
-malwarebytes
-superantispyware
- system restore
lots of error messages loading programs.

All I want to do is restore back to xp home but cant do so through the system restore option.

Oh, Is there some software available to try that will monitor whats being done on the computer. Not necessarily for the internet as I know all he does is play online games. I just want to see if hes modifying or changing anything in the system.

I spent alot of time with people on this forum getting my system to what I thought was at peak performance,now it seems all for nothing. i really need to see what hes playing around with.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

Well...no installed O/S ever changes to a different one...without human intervention.

That premise should tell you what you need to do.

Louis

#3 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

thanks.
I figured as much but wanted to be sure. What about some monitoring software?
Any ideas

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Personally, I have no experience with monitoring software but others here do...so wait for inputs from them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users