Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive defragments, but leaves too many fragmented files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have a 160 gb hard drive that used to be the system drive. I deleted all of the files and folders that would delete, which left a couple of gb of useless old files. Now I use it to store my system image, data, and e-mail backups, at least until I outgrow it.

I tried to defrag it and it runs the whole job sucessfully, but leaves too many fragmented files. Here is a picture of what I get after the job completes.
Anyone know why it can't organize it any better than this?

[attachment=16866:defrag.jpg]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

If you click on the Analyze button at the Defrag Center, it will tell you whether you still need to defrag or not. It's possible that is the best it can get but the Analyzer will tell you what it thinks.

Other than that, you might want to try a different defragger. Here is a link to some free ones:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/de...mentation.shtml

Give it a shot. If you receive the same results, it is probably as good as it will get.

Good luck.

DR

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

The analyzer says it's defragged enough. I wondeded if it had anything to do with how I gutted the files when I cleaned it off. I may just format it. I need to get rid of that old 3gb restore partition too.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Bear in mind that there certain types of files that the Windows defrag function doesn't touch (metadata, pagefile, hibernation for sure).

Louis

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

I'm sure there's an old page file on there. I think I'll just get some disk management software so I can re-partition it and format it. I'll just be performing without a net for a while until I do a fresh image. I do have My Documents on CD, but I love being able to restore an image. I tried swissknife and some other disk management program last week, but neither worked. I can't remember why right now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

For formatting/creating partitions...I find the XP CD and Disk Management to be the most reliable.

The beauty of other programs (e.g., Partition Magic, etc.) is that they offer more flexibility...but I also perceive an increased risk of problems for that flexibility. I like PM and have used it for 9 years or so, but I prefer to create partitions from the XP CD or Disk Management.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users