Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infection causes cmd.exe to crashe explorer, regedit to die after 10 sec and computer to come up in safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoshBers

JoshBers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

Any program that invokes cmd.exe crashes the explorer (task bar goes away for 3 seconds). Also regedit works for 10 seconds and then closes. The machine claims to come up in normal mode, however, when I check, not all services are running and when I try to start them, I get a message saying: "Cannot run service in Safe Mode". I also cannot run dds.scr.

Ive run the following virus software to no avail:
Symantec endpoint
AVG free
Super antispyware
Spybot search and destroy 1.6.2

I am attching HJT v.2.0.2 output:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:55:50 PM, on 3/20/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi JoshBers,

Welcome to BC HijackThis forum. Sorry for the delay. I am farbar. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might prolong handling your log and make the job for both of us more difficult.
  • Tell me if you have done anything since previous post. Or you have run any other tools. If yes please provide the logs if available. Also tell me how is the current condition of your computer.

• To get an idea about the current condition of you computer download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Set the scan files/folders to 3 Months.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)

Note 1: If you have difficulty finding the logs, the logs are in this folder: C:\rsit

Note 2: The tool takes not more than one minute to scan the system.
You might want to save this page on your favorites, so you can find it again when you return.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Is anybody there?

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

This thread will now be closed due to lack of activity.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users