Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding new HDD in RAID configuration?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 takirb

takirb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

I'm trying to add another HDD to a Dell server running Windows 2003 Small Business Server. The HDD was originally running a Linux OS. I installed the HDD into the Windows server, and it wasn't detected in Disk Management at all. So I removed the HDD, formatted it externally to FAT32, reinstalled to the Windows server, but still nada. When I plugged it into my desktop PC, it was recognized immediately and showing 300GB free. The server is configured with a RAID configuration, using 4 hard drives currently. I'm trying to install the old linux HDD as a 5th drive, but to be seperate from the RAID configuration and to strictly hold backups (basically just a seperate data drive). Why is this drive still not showing in Disk Management? The owner of the server does not wish for me to return to shut down the server again as it halts their business (literally takes 15 min to shut down, another 15 min to boot up).

Is there a utility I can run that will detect this drive and configure it correctly from within Windows? I've got the WD Diagnostic utility installed, as well HDDGuru's LLF Tool that I normally use to detect/format drives, but neither of them see the drive either. Any help or information on this would be highly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

What kind of raid controller do you have?

If you're connecting a single harddrive to a Dell Poweredge Raid Controller (a.k.a. PERC), you'll need to make it a raid container. For a single disk you'd make it a 1-disk raid 0.

One thing though; I'm not sure if afterwards the disk will be readable on anything other than a Dell PERC (or an equivalent LSI raid controller as Dell uses LSI raid controllers). The raid controller configures the disk for raid and writes some metadata to it so that when the raid controller powers up it can read the raid config from the drive(s).

With Windows to make it a single-disk raid 0, the easiest way is to install Dell's OpenManage Server Administrator (webpage interface) with the storage option (custom install option).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users