Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking for a mail program

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

Here's the thing. I LOVE Earthlink's mailbox and have used it for years. Unfortunately, when I got my new laptop with Vista Home I found out that I can no longer have Earthlink's mailbox because it's not compatible with Vista. The Earthlink tech suggested Windows mail and that was awful. There was no "junk" file, no deleted file and I didn't like the set up at all. When I contacted them again they said I could use any of the Outlook Express programs, Incredimail or two others that I forget the name of right now. I've used Incredimail in the past and love it but I remember that I always had problems with it. I love how I can dress up my e-mails, though, and they told me it was highly recommended by Earthlink. The problem is that they don't have a free junk folder, so I have to go to my Earthlink web mail several times a day to see if there's anything in there that I need. I've also been getting error messages, but I think I fixed that this morning. I'm going to attach the message and I will tell you that I followed the instructions and went to my Firewall settings and added Incredimail to "exceptions." I hope this takes care of the problem so that I can keep Incredimail. However, if I choose to uninstall it, I would like some suggestions on mail programs that you all like.

Linda

Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

While I do not like to "dress up" my E-mails, being a minimalist at heart, I can recommend Mozilla's Thunderbird as a very good E-mail client. You can "teach" it to recognize your own particular kinds of spam (perhaps missed by the E-mail provider) and automatically deal with them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hi John,
I don't use Firefox so I'm guessing that is not an option for me. Plus, I have to get one of the mail programs that Earthlink suggested so that I can import my addresses to the new program, which Earthlink really messed up on me the last time. I know how to import/export addresses but let the tech do it through remote and he forgot to check "e-mail addresses" so I had to do it over again and then wound up with over 250 duplicates that I had to take the time to delete. lol I was not a happy camper. I have an e-mail sitting in my out box right now so I guess what I did this morning didn't correct the problem. I keep trying to send it but it won't go.

Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have any more?

Linda

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

I don't use Firefox so I'm guessing that is not an option for me.

Thunderbird is a stand-alone application. You do not need Firefox installed
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thun...m-requirements/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thank you. Would I be able to import my address book to this program (from Incredimail)? Does it show a folder for junk mail?

Linda

#6 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I'm reading about the features right now but I haven't found anything yet about importing my address book.

#7 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

I realized that the program I pick has to be one of the ones Earthlink told me about and that is on their site because I save a copy to my server, so it has to work with Earthlink. I guess I'm going back to Outlook Express.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

According to Earthlink's website. They support any POP3-compatible email clients. So you are not restricted to OE. Find a client then read the FAQ's on how to import your contacts list.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

According to Earthlink's website. They support any POP3-compatible email clients. So you are not restricted to OE. Find a client then read the FAQ's on how to import your contacts list.

If I knew how to find a client -- I'm guessing that means an e-mail program, I wouldn't have asked for help. lol I don't know of any mail programs except for Outlook Express and Incredimail. I wonder why Earthlink gave me the choice of only four programs, only two of which I can remember right now. I have to call them anyway because now I can't even send out mail on my web mail. :huh:

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Here's a link to Mozilla's take on importing Incredimail into Thunderbird: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Incredimail
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hi John,
I already looked at Thunderbird when you posted it before. It doesn't say if I can import my addresses from Earthlink or not. I'm on the phone with Earthlink right now. Now they're telling me I CAN get their Total Access program but right now I can't even send myself a test e-mail. I've now sent myself something nine times and it's not going to my web mail or Incredimail. I don't know what's going on. The tech sent me a test e-mail and it came through fine. lol There's two things that I really do not like doing and that's being on the phone with Earthlink and being on the phone with Dell. lol

In case I haven't been clear, I'm looking for a mail program like Outlook Express that doesn't require me signing on to the Internet but that works with Earthlink so that I can save a copy of my mail to the Earthlink server because I lose a lot of mail and that's my backup when I inadvertently delete mail that I shouldn't delete.
Linda

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

I believe that you can import your contacts to Yahoo email. Click on 'options' in the upper right hand corner.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#13 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hi Jacee,
I already have a Yahoo account. I have to sign on to the Internet for Yahoo. I was looking for something that was free standing? I'm not sure what you call it.

Anyway, I have had a busy two days. After Earthlink telling me four different times by four different techs that Earthlink's mailbox was NOT compatible with Vista, I was then told that it was. Since that was my preference all along, I installed Earthlink mailbox. It turned into a nightmare for me. lol I can handle big problems in life but it's the stupid little things that I really get stressed about and I was very stressed. lol I had saved my contacts to my desktop from Incredimail which, by the way, I had imported from my desktop from Earthlink. Well, when I tried to import them to Earthlink, it imported over 300 empty contacts. All I had was the icon. lol Then Earthlink told me that I couldn't import from saving Incredimail contacts which made no sense since it was saved in csv format, but I tried it again anyway and then had 604 empty contacts. lol In the interim, Earthlink's server was having problems so their web mail was out until the next day. The bottom line is that after a lot of false starts, I now have Windows Live Mail, which I hadn't even heard of until yesterday. I thought I would have to have yet another hotmail or MSN account but other than it being from Microsoft, it really has nothing to do with MSN mail. I have my Earthlink address and I have all of my contacts, everything is working, it is free standing, and it even has stationary! lol I love stationary to fancy up an e-mail and you can add your own, too, so right now I'm saving all kinds of pretty backgrounds. lol

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users