Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up wireless home network using Linksys gateway

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gord79

gord79

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for a friend.

Current set up
At the moment he has a desktop pc running windows xp connected by Ethernet cable to a Linksys Wireless - G ADSL Gateway WAG54GS (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-G.../dp/B000BZU9SC).

There is a telephone cable coming of the the gateway to the telephone socket and also another cable coming out but I'm not sure where it goes!!

Wireless Network
Anyway, he has just bought a laptop with windows vista. He wants to connect it to a wireless network. At the moment, as stated above, the desktop PC is connected (wired) to the internet via the gateway. I presume I can also set up a separate wireless network through the same linksys gateway and connect the laptop to this??

Is this the best way to proceed? What would you advise?

Iím a novice so please reply in plan non-tech English! :thumbsup:

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Gord

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:52 AM

Hi Mate,

Welcome to BC. Thanks for clear explanation. You need to check whether wireless is enabled or not on Linksys ( which I presume not).

1) First go to the desktop, in the web browser (Internet explorer or Firefox) type 192.168.1.1
2) Username: admin Password: admin, try this or else username: (leave it blank) and password: admin

Check out this Video

Hope it helps. Please let us know if any issues.

Edited by sreez, 24 March 2009 - 06:52 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 gord79

gord79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hi screez,

Thanks for the reply.

I will log onto the router to see if the wireless if enabled and follow the video. I trust it tells me how to set up wireless connection. Thanks again.

G

#4 gord79

gord79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hi guys,

Ok, hit a problem. I followed your instructions exactly and have set up the wireless network. However, when I try to connect my laptop to the wireless network and enter the correct passphrase windows cists says it cannot connect ok. I've checked the passphrase lots of times - it is definately correct.

Do you know what the problem might be? I've restarted the router gateway several times but with no success.

Thanks again for your help.

Gord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users