Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Condition of my internal hardware, advice appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:47 AM

Hi
I am wondering if there is a way of telling the ware & condition of the internal hardware of my pc!
I rely on it for my studies & am worried it may go caput at any moment! I use it for on average 5-6 hours a day & leave it on stand bye when not in use!

I'm writing this now, as i have noticed when i stream film/music, my fans (cpu, i dunno) increase in noise & sometimes of late, web pages seem to be slower to scroll down!

I have a Compaq Evo, small form factor. I have had a look inside, it looks a little crammed in there but there seems no sign of dust.

I am wondering if there is any way of finding out the ware of vital components & impending failure!!

Many thanks

wf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

I don't think anything is failing, if it was, you would probably be getting BSOD's (Blue Screens of Death) or more severe issues.

You could look around at the motherboard capacitors, and see if any look like they are bulging and/or leaking electrolytes (it would be very noticeable though, and there will probably be some that are bent a little which is normal). However, I doubt they are, because like I said above, you would probably be having worse problems.

The slowing could be a heat issue, like you said, those cases aren't very well-ventilated. Also, once you're doing more demanding tasks like watching videos, the processor will heat up more. I'm not sure if it will work with a retail computer like yours, but I use coretemp to check my processor temperatures:http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If I were you, I would just back up my important data, and if signs get worse, then start worrying.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

there seems no sign of dust.

The spot that collects dust, that causes the most problems is hard to see.
It's underneath the CPU fan between the heatsink fins
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Yeh cheers Sterling, i'll check out that link, i just noticed of late, especially when i run an anti spyware programme etc or youtube , i get the noise!!
You got any good ideas on how to backup router stuff etc as it gets hot & if it failed, it would hit the fan! I guess they last ages & are hard hardware so i guess i'm stressing over nothing as usual!!

Wf

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Your router shouldn't need backing up, the settings are saved onto the router itself.

I'm talking about music, pictures, school work, or anything else saved on your computer. If you don't have a lot of this stuff saved, you could use a little usb flash drive. If you have many gigabytes of information that needs backing up, you may want to get an external hard drive. You could also burn the information to CD's or DVD's.

Also, you should check for dust around and under the heatsink like garmanma suggested :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hi
Yeh, i'm sure my pc has life in yet & as you say, i'd see or notice things happening, like a deterioration!!
I do have things on a usb stick, it's just knowing how to extend its life by cleaning the inside etc & not being too savvy with going inside, is there anything i shouldn't do to wear it out, like keeping it on stand bye too long, streaming things, having too many applications open at once etc to go easy on it!

Router!!, i know it has settings, i wonder if there's ways of saving them somehow as my mate set it up for me & i'm unsure of how to do it!!, i have another one & if this went wrong, i'd like to quickly transfer the settings over!!
Its a Siemens wireless router!!, but i'm using a wired connection as my pc doesn't do wireless!!

wf

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Instructions for setting up any router...are generally available on the Web at the site of the router manufacturer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users